Sign in to follow this  
tf51d

Flight diverted today (Aug. 18). Anybody know why?

Guest j-mo

Air France flight 346 from LFPG to CYUL was diverted to Bangor(KBGR). Looking at the flight track at http://flightaware.com/live/flight/AFR346/...1436Z/LFPG/CYUL ,it looks like they were almost to Trudeau Int'l. before reversing course and landing at Bangor. The flight is currently enroute to CYUL.Looking at details for the flight at http://www.flightstats.com/go/FlightStatus...F&id=136019750&it seems that the airline and FAA went back and forth for some 37 minutes as to whether the flight was "Active" or "Redirected" before being classified as "Diverted."Anybody know if this was weather-related, or was it something else?

It could have been any number of things,1) bad headwinds, causing fuel issue and divert2) weather3) pax having health problems4) Canadian or American authorities wanting someone on the plane5) who knows?Anything, really, I suppose. #3 is pretty common...RhettFS box: E8500 (@ 3.80 ghz), AC Freezer 7 Pro, ASUS P5E3 Premium, BFG 8800GTX 756 (nVidia 169 WHQL), 4gb DDR3 1600 Patriot Cas7 7-7-7-20 (2T), PC Power 750, WD 150gb 10000rpm Raptor, Seagate 500gb, Silverstone TJ09 case, Vista Ultimate 64ASX Client: AMD 3700+ (@ 2.6 ghz), 7800GT

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Guest zacharace

I'm guessing either weather or a passenger had a serious health issue, probably the latter.

Guest j-mo

So if it was medical, why turn back to Bangor? Aren't the medical facilities on Montreal sufficient to handle anything Bangor can?Same kind of question regarding fuel. It appears that the flight was roughly half-way between Bangor and Montreal, although I wouldn't want to put my full trust in a flightaware map.Which is why I was wondering if this was related to some condition at CYUL. Weather, or other.Regards,

...and if it was medical, 1/2-way between Montreal and Bangor has several better choices, including the quick jump to Boston or Quebec City. I'm wagering it was a weather issue. Bangor was far enough away to not be affected by local Montreal thunderstorms, AND allow them to refuel and get back under way before the same line of storms arrived to ground them in Maine. The New England weather has been all sorts of strange this summer, with lots of big thunderstorms popping up from Quebec down to Connecticut throughout the summer. -Greg