Sign in to follow this  
dragonflightdesign

No more FSSound.dll in FSX!

Hi All,First day with FSX (was released last week up here in Canada)and it is an interesting experience. To my disappointment however, it appears that FSSound.dll, a module used to allow us amateur gauge programmers to make sounds linked to gauges, no longer seems to work! :-(So all those many years of work on such gauges as those you'll find in the HJG DC-8 panels are for not? I sure hope not! I was just about to start to update that package for the new FSX world...I am hoping that some of you guys might all have some ideas how to either get FSSound.dll to work OR some code snippets for a simple hack like me to use to replace it within my gauges (I am serious student of Mr. Dai Griffith's excellent tutorials).Can anyone help?thanks, Steve

Steve,You could have a look at my xml sound gauge (dsd_xml_sound2.zip, in the library here.) It's not difficult to access xml variables with C++ gauges. Have a look at Bill's notes on the subject, here:http://forums.flightsim.com/dc/dcboard.php...sg_id=233&page=Drop me a note if you want any further assistance on the gauge.Doug Dawson

I'll have a look at both of those. Thanks for getting me started and your kind offer of assistance.Steve

You can still use fssound.dll, but you'd have to (a) create a modules folder and (:( modify the dll.xml file to define & load it...The dll.xml file is found in the same folder as fsx.cfg file. The entry would be: FS Sound DLLFalseFalse..modulesfssound.dll

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Outstanding Bill!Thank you so very much. This will be a critical piece of information in the next weeks as people want to figure out how to get such addons like Probst/Tinmouse, HJG & various other well follwed freeware to work in FSX.However, It is also a darn good wake up for me to now take the time to learn how to incorporate sounds into C++ code gauges. Any further guidance on that that topic would be greatly appreciated. Dai's tutorials also only get into the use of FSSound as a means to activate sounds with C++ gauges. Ideally we can coax an update out of him with a non-dependant approach as the payware authors have done for sometime now.take care,Steve

LOL!!! Non-dependant.....I like that. Sit tight - I've already written a brand-spanky-new FS9/FSX DirectSound interface but it's currently mono only. It's completely independant of any gauge; similar to Doug's approach, it requires you to export a PlaySnd command via a pointer (standard shared variables trick). The gauge will accept up to 1000 different sounds and will play up to 100 of those simultaneously, subject to the usual caveats on memory, processor speed, system resources etc. I need to teach it a few more tricks yet; it works well enough but as it was coded as a development model for a payware project, it's very user-unfriendly. There's currently absolutely sod-all error checking in the code and if you feed it even the slightest bit of incorrect information it will very happily GPF both FS9 and FSX.-Dai