Sign in to follow this  
Guest penman

Problem with ( * X ) file export from 3dsMax 8

Guest penman

HiJust figured it out by looking at the TextX max file in the SDK!!

>Hi>Just figured it out by looking at the TextX max file in the>SDK!! Thank you for the sharing this useful bit of information... :-roll I guess since the original question is now unknown, the answer is irrelevant now also. :-lol

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest penman

Oops! SorryAs I am new to these forums, I did not want to waste people's time trying to find an answer when I already found it it out for myself.This was my original request."My skills are in 3d Modeling with 3dsMax8 and thought I would have a go at creating models for FSX.I have read through the modeling Tools SDK that came with FSX Deluxe, Followed the instructions where it refers to FriendlyName and GUID values. In the file properties, I entered the GUID value obtained from the GUIDGEN.exe module and removed the curly braces. I still however, get a "No GUID set" error. followed by "Export module failure" when exporting from 3dsmax8. Any help would appreciated"By comparing my file properties with the properties of the TestX.max file I could see that I had just entered the information in wrongly.The FriendlyName and the Guid value should be entered on seperate lines.I now realize this information could help other people. Won't happen again!Now I have to figure out how to use the XtoMdl tool and place my object in FSX. The instructions are there, but a little difficult to understand, at first glance, for a non programmer like myself.Again, any step by step help would be most appreciated.

You might like to check out my FSDeveloper.com Wiki entry for XtoMDL usage...http://www.fsdeveloper.com/wiki/index.php?title=XtoMDL.exeBasically, it shows you how to set up Windows Explorer so all you need to do is right click on any .x file and choose Send To "Compile Aircraft" option from the menu to 'autobuild' your .mdl file... ;)You can also use the same technique to create a "Compile Scenery" function if you wish.It's a darn site quicker than opening a Command Box and typing in a long string of instructions!!! ;)

Fr. Bill    

Guest penman

Thank you very much for this very useful tip and your link.Most helpful. I Hope you don't mind me comming back with questions if I get stuck.Cheers

Guest penman

Im here again BillI followed your tip and set up the shortcut for my paths and used the 'send to' directory. Moved XtoMDL.exe and modeldef.xml to my FS_Tools directory.%windir%system32cmd.exe /K h:FSX_Toolsxtomdl.exe /DICT:h:FS_Toolsmodeldef.XMLBut when compile I get this list of errors:Found dictionary file: h:FS_Toolsmodeldef.XMLOutputFile: H:ModelsBox.MDLOutput file after modification: H:ModelsBox.MDL(0): error : XToMdl.exe Unhandled Application Exception(0): error : System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException: Could not find a part of the path 'h:FS_Toolsmodeldef.XML'.(0): error : at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)(0): error : at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy)(0): error : at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access)(0): error : at Microsoft.FlightSimulator.XToMDL.XToMDL.RealMain(String[] args)(0): error : at Microsoft.FlightSimulator.XToMDL.XToMDL.Main(String[] args)(0): error : (0): error : Could not find a part of the path 'h:FS_Toolsmodeldef.XML'.(0): error : (0): error : Stack Trace:(0): error : at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)(0): error : at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy)(0): error : at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access)(0): error : at Microsoft.FlightSimulator.XToMDL.XToMDL.RealMain(String[] args)(0): error : at Microsoft.FlightSimulator.XToMDL.XToMDL.Main(String[] args)I know I am missing something. I've been over and over the SDK Docs, but having never worked with code or XML before, I'm becoming a little confused to say the least. I'm determined not to give up though.Can you help?CheersPeter

I'm assuming that your stuff is installed on drive H:Try H: instead of h:I believe it's case sensitive... ;)Also, insert a space betweeh DICT: and H:...Here is my shortcut's "Target Path"%windir%system32cmd.exe /K C:AutodeskMax8FSX_Toolsxtomdl.exe /DICT:C:AutodeskMax8FSX_Toolsmodeldef.XMLFor you, it should be:%windir%system32cmd.exe /K H:FSX_Toolsxtomdl.exe /DICT: H:FS_Toolsmodeldef.XMLAlso, make certain that your "Start In" path is correct. Here's mine:C:AutodeskMax8FSX_ToolsYour's should be:H:FSX_Tools

Fr. Bill    

Guest penman

Thanks Bill for answering so soon.I followed those suggestions, upper case 'H' and added the space.Now I don't get errors, just this:Found dictionary file: OutputFile: H:FS_Toolsmodeldef.XML.MDLOutput file after modification: H:FS_Toolsmodeldef.XML.MDLUsage: XToMDL.exe /KEEP /NOGUI /BATCH /NOCRASH /BMP2DDS /XMLSAMPLE /XANIM /DICT:DictFileName /OUT:OutfileName Filename.XDid it work? I wonder, as I can't find any resulting MDL file anywhere.Not in any of my folders. Should I be doing something else?thanks againPeter

Guest penman

"Start in" path, That was it.:-)Now to tackle the rest. :-hmmm Where to begin. I'll read the docs again.Thanks for all your helpPeter

Guest penman

Bill, If you are still into helping me a bit more, My problem now is the command line switches.I have my test model "Box.x" which is in my H:FS_tools dir.No matter how I set the switches I still don't get a Box.mdl and or an accompanying xml file.I then have to worry about the placement file. Do I create one?The SDK documents don't make any of it very clear, well not to me.I know,once it is clear, it should be simple.Sorry to be such a nuisance.Peter

>Bill, If you are still into helping me a bit more, >My problem now is the command line switches.>I have my test model "Box.x" which is in my H:FS_tools dir.>No matter how I set the switches I still don't get a Box.mdl>and or an accompanying xml file.>I then have to worry about the placement file. Do I create>one?>The SDK documents don't make any of it very clear, well not to>me.>I know,once it is clear, it should be simple.>Sorry to be such a nuisance.Er, I don't recall you mentioning that you wanted to compile scenery, but that's easy enough to fix up! ;)First, copy/paste your existing "CompileAircraft" shortcut in the SendTo folder, and rename the copy to "CompileScenery"...Now, open the "Compile Scenery" shortcut and add /XMLSAMPLE to the current command line:%windir%system32cmd.exe /K H:FSX_Toolsxtomdl.exe /DICT:H:FSX_Toolsmodeldef.XML /XMLSAMPLENow, when you rightclick on your BOX.x file, choose "SendTo Compile Scenery"... ;)

Fr. Bill    

Guest penman

Thanks BillI hope i'm not starting to sound like an idiot here. I made the alteration as you suggested but when I click on my model,"Box x",I get the following. Found dictionary file: OutputFile: H:FS_Toolsmodeldef.XML.MDLOutput file after modification: H:FS_Toolsmodeldef.XML.MDLUsage: XToMDL.exe /KEEP /NOGUI /BATCH /NOCRASH /BMP2DDS /XMLSAMPLE /XANIM /DICT:DictFileName /OUT:OutfileName Filename.XH:FSX_Tools>This happened before, that is why I thought I needed to do something with the switches.Nothing seems to be compiled, I don't get a Box.mdl or anythingI think I need to do something else,(apart from giving up), or I have still got something wrong?CheersPeter

>Thanks Bill>I hope i'm not starting to sound like an idiot here. I made>the alteration as you suggested but when I click on my>model,"Box x",I get the following. >>Found dictionary file: >OutputFile: H:FS_Toolsmodeldef.XML.MDL>Output file after modification: H:FS_Toolsmodeldef.XML.MDL>Usage: XToMDL.exe /KEEP /NOGUI /BATCH /NOCRASH /BMP2DDS>/XMLSAMPLE /XANIM /DICT:DictFileName /OUT:OutfileName>Filename.XThat error output is simply telling you that it cannot correctly read the command string you entered. Pay attention to blank spaces! ;)Here is the same line again. Make sure that there are blank spaces between ".exe" and "/DICT:... and between ".XML" and "/XMLSAMPLE"...%windir%system32cmd.exe /K H:FSX_Toolsxtomdl.exe /DICT:H:FSX_Toolsmodeldef.XML /XMLSAMPLE

Fr. Bill    

Guest penman

Hi BillI did have spaces where they should not have been. Corrected these, compiled, but still got errors. So to be sure, I copied and pasted the line from your last post. I got these same errors, and a 0 KB Box.mdlFound dictionary file: H:FSX_Toolsmodeldef.XMLOutputFile: H:FSX_ToolsBox.MDLOutput file after modification: H:FSX_ToolsBox.MDLCreating output MDL file: H:FSX_ToolsBox.MDL(0): error : XToMdl.exe Unhandled Application Exception(0): error : System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'Managed_CrashTree, Version=10.0.60905.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.(0): error : File name: 'Managed_CrashTree, Version=10.0.60905.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35' ---> System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'Managed_CrashTree, Version=10.0.60905.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.(0): error : File name: 'Managed_CrashTree, Version=10.0.60905.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35'(0): error : (0): error : WRN: Assembly binding logging is turned OFF.(0): error : To enable assembly bind failure logging, set the registry value [HKLMSoftwareMicrosoftFusion!EnableLog] (DWORD) to 1.(0): error : Note: There is some performance penalty associated with assembly bind failure logging.(0): error : To turn this feature off, remove the registry value [HKLMSoftwareMicrosoftFusion!EnableLog].(0): error : (0): error : at Microsoft.FlightSimulator.XToXmlLib.ModelProcessingContext.BuildCrashTree()(0): error : at Microsoft.FlightSimulator.XToXmlLib.ModelProcessingContext.Optimize()(0): error : at Microsoft.FlightSimulator.XToXmlLib.XToXmlLib.ProcessAllFiles()(0): error : at Microsoft.FlightSimulator.XToMDL.XToMDL.ProcessInputs()(0): error : at Microsoft.FlightSimulator.XToMDL.XToMDL.RealMain(String[] args)(0): error : at Microsoft.FlightSimulator.XToMDL.XToMDL.Main(String[] args)(0): error : (0): error : (0): error : (0): error : Could not load file or assembly 'Managed_CrashTree, Version=10.0.60905.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.(0): error : (0): error : Stack Trace:(0): error : at Microsoft.FlightSimulator.XToXmlLib.ModelProcessingContext.BuildCrashTree()(0): error : at Microsoft.FlightSimulator.XToXmlLib.ModelProcessingContext.Optimize()(0): error : at Microsoft.FlightSimulator.XToXmlLib.XToXmlLib.ProcessAllFiles()(0): error : at Microsoft.FlightSimulator.XToMDL.XToMDL.ProcessInputs()(0): error : at Microsoft.FlightSimulator.XToMDL.XToMDL.RealMain(String[] args)(0): error : at Microsoft.FlightSimulator.XToMDL.XToMDL.Main(String[] args)H:FSX_Tools>

Guest penman

Hi BillI thought I'd let you know that I've managed to get it working.Looking again at the errors I was having, I noticed this line: (0): error : System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'Managed_CrashTree, Version=10.0.60905.0, Culture=neutral:,and the word CrashTree.I remembered seeing a Managed_CrashTree.dll file inside the SDK Modelingfolder so I copied it and the other .dll files to my H:FSX_Tools folder where the XToMdl.exe is, and Hey Presto, I got my Box.MDL and my Box_placement.XML. I just need to edit the placement file as they suggest and follow the instructions from there.Again,thank you very much for your help and time.Peter