Sign in to follow this  
wsieffert

Missing ADF2 gauge token - missing XML tokens - what el...

I really wanted to think of a really sarcastic title for this message but ah well......So Microsoft give us the ADF2 we've wanted for so long and then prevent us from using it by forgetting to supply us with the gauge token to read the value. The workround is to set ADF2 to a fixed value every time the aircraft starts up because then you have a known value to track.I've also only just noticed that all of the XML gauge tokens are missing from the gauges.h file too. I can't find them anywhere else in the SDK - and I've only just had an eyetest so I don't think I need glasses - but maybe, just maybe, I've overlooked them. Can anyone point me in the right direction or do I need to add them back into fsxgauges.h too?-Dai

XML gauge tokens were never part of anything official from MS.The current token list as was defined for FS9 no longer works with FSX. In fact, the DLL's that most of this stuff (variables) was contained within no longer exist in FSX.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Hi Dai,Well, I don't know anything about indexing in C/C++ gauges, but in XML:(A:ADF ACTIVE FREQUENCY:2,kilohertz)works fine for ADF2.Both in FS9 and FSX (just tried it).Cheers, Rob Barendregt

Ed: Where on earth do the XML guys get their variables from? I'm a C programmer but I was seriously thinking about learning the XML approach.Rob: Ah - back to using external pointers then. Bill Leeming came up with a C<=>XML solution back in February.I still think it's a bit silly to give us the means to input the data in C and no way to retrieve the result in the same language....!-Dai

>Ed: Where on earth do the XML guys get their variables from?>I'm a C programmer but I was seriously thinking about learning>the XML approach.Dai, look in your ..Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDKSDKCore Utilities KitVariables folder for these files:Event IDs.htm // This lists the XML eventsSimulation Variables.html // This lists the XML tokensI know, that's a very STRANGE place for these files to be located, since you'd THINK they would be with the Gauges SDK... :)Anyway, here's how I fetch ADF2 (ADF1 also for that matter, since then I don't have to "un-BCD" the variable for display! ;)FLOAT64 adf1_frequency = 0;FLOAT64 adf2_frequency = 0;execute_calculator_code("(A:ADF ACTIVE FREQUENCY:1, KHz)",&adf1_frequency,NULL,NULL);execute_calculator_code("(A:ADF ACTIVE FREQUENCY:2, KHz)",&adf2_frequency,NULL,NULL);BTW, did you get my "permission to publish" reply along with the sample code for FS version checking? ;)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

That's all you get?! I found those and assumed it was purely documentation... but now I come to think about it, the XML typedef_enum in the old fs9gauges.h file was effectively just that too.I did get your email Bill - thank you. It was in the 'wrong' mailbox in that I can never remember which site got which email-sink when it requested an email address (how many times can you say 'email' - legitimately - in one sentence!). That's why I put my main address at the bottom of the message - I just happened to be doing a blackhole trawl this afternoon and I found it.The way you've done it is far more robust than mine, because in theory a really thorough FSX folder modifier could remove the simobjectsairplanes folder as no longer being necessary and thus kill my test.-Dai

>That's all you get?! I found those and assumed it was purely>documentation... but now I come to think about it, the XML>typedef_enum in the old fs9gauges.h file was effectively just>that too.I think ACES is assuming that most - if not all - XML'ers will want to use their shiny new GUI XML Gauge Building program... ;)>The way you've done it is far more robust than mine, because>in theory a really thorough FSX folder modifier could remove>the simobjectsairplanes folder as no longer being necessary>and thus kill my test.Well, I figure that looking to see if FSX.exe exists is as good a way as any! ;)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Hi Dai,How are you doing? I am not doing too much MSFS stuff anymore, since I am working full time at Air Orlando - www.flyairorlando.com . We use X-Plane in our flight simulator and I am tasked to keep it operational.Nice to see a familiar name on the boards!Regards,W. Sieffert

Hi Bill!Well now..... looks like I might get to meet you sometime in the next eighteen months! I want to revalidate my PPL but as it's been XXXX number of years since I last flew, I effectively need to start from scratch again. I also happen to like Orlando. My intention is to get the exams cleared at this end at the local flying club, revalidate the license either in the USA or SA (that's even if I can find it now... it might really have to be a start from scratch) and then come back here and learn to fly in real weather. :)-Dai

Hopefully you will be able to find your license. If you have a current license for your country and want to fly in the U.S., you will need your license, a current medical, and visit the local FAA office to get a U.S. equivalency license based on your country license. You will have to do a Biannual Flight Review and renter checkout. Airspace knowledge is usually the hangup for most foreign pilots.Regards,W. Sieffert