Sign in to follow this  
Guest LOT

ToolTips

Guest superman32870

Has anyone figured out how to write your own ToolTips in FSX. It will not allow you to write them the same way as FS9 does.Chris

In XML ??Because that work exactly the same as in FS9.I have several XML gauges to prove it...If that doesn't work for you, post a snapshot of the mouse section you use (if it's XML)Rob

It works in C-gauges too. I've got 104 static and 33 dynamic tooltips on my current panel. Which langauge are you using?-Dai

Guest superman32870

Sorry in XML. Here is a shotFS9:Push to select Full or Expanded Nav Display(L:FULL_EXP Button, bool) ! (>L:FULL_EXP Button, bool)FSX:98.000,105.00026,28HandLeftSinglePush to select Full or Expanded Nav DisplayThis ToolTip worked in FS9 but I can't get it to work in FSXChris

> > > Push to select Full or Expanded Nav>Display> >Try putting quote marks (") around the text. This is how the examples are done... ;)"Push to select Full or Expanded Nav Display"

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest superman32870

Bill,Nope that doesn't work. It will give you a totally different text than you put in. I've tried a lot of stuff and to avail. Don't know which file the default ToolTips and HelpIds are all set up in. Maybe could change the default ones if I could find it.Chris

Chris,Are you sure you don't have, beside the Tooltip directive, also a HelpId line ??Because that might explain your problem too.As far as I know, if you have you own tooltip, the HelpId line is pointless (even worse, it might superceede your tooltip).But correct me if I'm wrong.Rob

Guest superman32870

Rob,Nope, just the ToolTip by itself. I have tried everything it seems like. I don't know if writing your own ToolTips is possible in FSX. A least I haven't figured it out yet!!!Chris

I perused the FSX SDK and it shows no information that implies to me that it can support custom text for tooltips.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Guest superman32870

Ed,That is what I am thinking. That is a really sucks. I liked the custom ToolTips.Thanks, Chris

>Ed,>>That is what I am thinking. That is a really sucks. I liked>the custom ToolTips.Might I suggest running the GUI XML Gauge Program and see how ACES themselves handle custom tooltips?Either that, or simply use the FS9 XML syntax, since it clearly still supported! (see the fs9gps.cab for example)... :)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Chris,As I said, it works just as in FS9.Example: BrakePressure (Left: %((A:BRAKE LEFT POSITION, percent) )%!d!%% Right:%((A:BRAKE RIGHT POSITION, percent) )%!d!%%)............works fineRob

Guest superman32870

Rob,It does work if you use FS9 XML syntax, but I'm using the FSX XML syntax and it will not work. I entered what you wrote into my gauge I had listed above and it does not work.Chris

Chris,I'm curious to know why would you use FSX XML syntax, is that a new gauge you need to develope or a current you have and want to translate? In both cases, unless you are going to use ACE XML utility, which seems to be the reason of the new schema structure, so far I haven't found any visible advantage in the FSX coding model.Tom

Guest superman32870

Tom,Basically I tried the new syntax because I thought it might have more possibilities than the old syntax. Well I guess it doesn't. I now have to go back and use some of my old gauges designed for FS2002 and mix them in with some of the newer guages I have. I'm using the gauges that I have to have custom ToolTips for (EFIS PANEL, SPEED SELECT PANEL, etc...). I will keep the EICAS I have in the newer syntax because I like the Pie and Arc feature. Plus I don't know if the Pie and Arc are possible in the old syntax.Live and learn I guess.Chris