Sign in to follow this  
Guest coal

Tutorial :: Compiling an FS-X Aircraft .mdl

Guest tallafourcharlie

Hey, Over the past few days I have been tearing my hair out trying to get XtoMDL.exe to work, and like many, successfully failing at it. I decided once I cracked it, that I should share my experience with everyone so that not everyone comes up against this wall. This tutorial assumes that you have 3dsmax8 or above installed, as well as the FS-X SDK installed. I also assume that you have followed the FS-X SDK [hr /][h3]Setup[/h3][p]In order for 3ds Max

That's a very nice, easy to read summary, Matthew!I would suggest however, based on my further exploration that one create two separate "Send To" shortcuts: one for scenery and another for aircraft.In the "Scenery" shortcut, use this command sequence in the "Target" box:%windir%system32cmd.exe /K C:FSX ToolsXToMdl.exe /DICT:FSX Toolsmodeldef.xml /XMLSAMPLE /XANIMThe two additional "switches" will create a "sample XML placement file" as well as parse the file for any included animations. If there aren't any animations, then the switch will do no harm... ;)In the "Aircraft" shortcut, use this command sequence in the "Target" box:%windir%system32cmd.exe /K C:FSX ToolsXToMdl.exe /DICT:FSX Toolsmodeldef.xml /XANIMOf course, one could use the "Scenery" line as well and simply ignore the "sample XML placement file," but why create it to begin with if it won't be used? ;)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest coal

Thanks Matthew and Bill. Very clear.What about explaining how animate parts?I could animate things like rudder or ailerons (single rotation) but I fail with propeller and flaps.Could you, please, tell us how to use Animation Dialog box? I think Bill said in another post it wasn't difficult once you know how to do it.Thanks again,Germ

Guest chepe

Hi Matthew:I Have the sortcut Like you indicates.Enter '%windir%system32cmd.exe /K C:FSX ToolsXToMdl.exe /DICT:FSX Toolsmodeldef.xmland when I send my fileX with right click the MS-DOS say:

Guest FelixFFDS

>Thanks Matthew and Bill. Very clear.>>What about explaining how animate parts?>>I could animate things like rudder or ailerons (single>rotation) but I fail with propeller and flaps.>>Could you, please, tell us how to use Animation Dialog box? I>think Bill said in another post it wasn't difficult once you>know how to do it.>>Thanks again,>Germ