Sign in to follow this  
phjvh

Disappearing gauges

Guest jfarrer@telus.net

Hi:After reading through the posts this simple little problem should be easy to figure out. I've modified several basic XML switch and rotary gauges with new bitmaps etc. to create a new autopilot (CRJ type).The problem seems to be that the gauges only show in the panel sporadically. On occasion all the buttons will show and at other times after even a small change to the panel.cfg some, most, or all of the gauges no longer appear on the panel. Even more frustrating, if I replace the unworking panel.cfg with a backup that I know was working, the gauges that worked just fine when I saved that panel.cfg are no longer there.These are simple buttons (eg. NAV, BC, etc.) and while they may not show up on the panel most times they always show as being installed from within FS Panel Studio. The only change I've made is to the 1024 and/or 640 bmp's, no changes to the original XML. I've looked closely at the panel.cfg and all the syntax appears correct.My modified buttons are placed in a .cab using FS Panel Studio's 'Create a New Gauge' function.As I said, sometimes some of them show, sometimes just one, and other times most. But only a few times have all the ones I've installed so far show up. This is when I make the backup, and it won't work next time.These Phantom Buttons are driving me even more nut's than I was to begin with.Rgds: Jeff

Guest Patrick_Waugh

I've modified several basic XML>switch and rotary gauges with new bitmaps etc. to create a new>autopilot (CRJ type).When you "replaced" them, did you use the same dimensions?>The problem seems to be that the gauges only show in the panel>sporadically. On occasion all the buttons will show and at>other times after even a small change to the panel.cfg some,>most, or all of the gauges no longer appear on the panel. Make sure that if you make manual changes to your panel.cfg that you do not introduce syntax errors such as extra spaces. For example, this is valid: file=PanelMain.bmphowever, this is not: file = PanelMain.bmpWhile the later will work (in FS9 at least), FS Panel Studio will choke on it, and often deletes things that it does not understand when it parses the file.>Even>more frustrating, if I replace the unworking panel.cfg with a>backup that I know was working, the gauges that worked just>fine when I saved that panel.cfg are no longer there.Something else must have changed. The computer only does exactly what we tell it. Again, if you edited the file with FS Panel Studio, that may be deleting things.>These are simple buttons (eg. NAV, BC, etc.) and while they>may not show up on the panel most times they always show as>being installed from within FS Panel Studio. Most times???? Sounds like you need to do more testing to determine what times those are.>My modified buttons are placed in a .cab using FS Panel>Studio's 'Create a New Gauge' function.For FS9 gauges, or are you trying to use FS X? You likely need to use the new tools to create .cab files.

Guest jfarrer@telus.net

Thanks for your reply Patrick.As for the causes of the phantom gauges I'm still unsure. The last time I backed up the original gauges I shut down, went to bed, and booted the next day to find that the gauges had disappeared. Nothing was changed!Does changing the dimensions of the .bmp matter if you change the size in the XML to reflect the size of the new switch or button bmp? I tried it both ways, remaining with the original size and changing it also.Perhaps I should be asking about the bmp's themselves since I did change them from indexed to 24 bit originally although I converted them back into indexed images after 'the troubles' started :) They seemed to 'show' or 'not show' equally regardless of the format. There doesn't seem to be any 'regular' reason for them to vanish, nothing that I can point to and say 'Aha...that might be the problem!'I'm not completely XML illiterate, but fairly close. Just trying to wrap my mind around a concept like 'reverse Polish notation' makes my head ache, but these were simple default(?) single switch and button gauges with limited XML and I use 'Peter's XML Editor' to make sure the code is well formed.I got so frustrated that I decided to try a more complex approach by making a single autopilot unit over the last couple of days. Since I was basically 'cutting and pasting' most of the XML entries I studied the syntax a bit more closely since I was changing just about everything but the base code itself. Surprisingly, this has worked out better. I haven't got all the buttons working correctly (most work but I'm having trouble with the autothrottle/airspeed hold modes and I can't get the yaw damper to work although that might require an aircraft.cfg change).The button entries are fairly close to a 'no brainer' eg.:(A:Autopilot heading lock,bool)And further down in the 'Mouse' section: Left="175" Top="19" Width="20" Height="20"> Works perfectly and I even understand about 90% of it. I must have done something right because I changed all the numerical values of the buttons to match their proper places on the background bmp as well as changing the bmp's for the pushbuttons, and while not all work, most do and always do and none of the buttons have disappeared and the autopilot unit is always there.The only problem with this approach so far (except for the unworking buttons) is that I can't seem to co-ordinate rotary control areas with the background .bmp.For instance, there's a rotary control directly underneath the hdg hld button to (of course) adjust the heading bug. The visual control is just part of the static background bmp (maybe later for the animated :).The top row of buttons all fall on the "19" row and the bottom buttons fall on the "61" row. The hdg button itself is at 'Left="175"' and since the button itself is 20X20 the centre on the bottom row under the hdg btn should be at 'Left="185" Top="61".If I try and place an entry like this in the mouse section, which as far as I can tell should give me a mouse area centered under the hdg btn along the bottom row: Left="170" Top="61" Width="15" Height="20"> Left="185" Top="61" Width="15" Height="20"> ...I get the area and it even works to change the heading. Unfortunately it's nowhere near where it should be and if I try to move it to the right by changing the location of the top left start point nothing happens.Ah well, if it was easy, anyone could do it! :)Rgds: Jeff

Hi,Try: Left="170" Right="185" Top="61" Bottom="80"> Left="186" Right="205" Top="61" Bottom="80">Jan"Beatus ille qui procul negotiis..."