Sign in to follow this  
nickpike

Getting TCAS to work in FSX

Hi,I was using Arne's TCAS package in FS9 and it worked great.The package file you can download is trafficradarxml201.zip.I've tried to apply this in numerous ways in FSX, but it causes a CTD.Anyone know how to get this to work in FSX?I have emailed Arne several times but no response unfortunately.cheers,nick

Guest FS-boy

Nick, Did you ever get a useful answer to your question? I've got a radar gauge that's based on Arne's C language version of the TCAS gauge. It's not working correctly in FSX.

Nick,As far as I remember, Arne's radar uses a DLL module. These modules don't work any more in FSX, so I don't know how Patrick can make it work. I am curious though...Anyway, I plan to develop a new radar gauge for FSX (similar to the one I have released for FS2004), which will require no FSUIPC and no external module. It should be avilable soon.Eric

>Nick,>>As far as I remember, Arne's radar uses a DLL module. These>modules don't work any more in FSX, so I don't know how>Patrick can make it work. I am curious though...There are two ways to make a module load in FSX.1) put it in the FSX root folder2) create a new entry in the dll.xml file to tell FSX to load the module.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

>Nick,>>As far as I remember, Arne's radar uses a DLL module. These>modules don't work any more in FSX, so I don't know how>Patrick can make it work. I am curious though...>>Anyway, I plan to develop a new radar gauge for FSX (similar>to the one I have released for FS2004), which will require no>FSUIPC and no external module. It should be avilable soon.>>Eric>Eric, are you aware that the FSX radar gauge can be installedin aircraft panels? Even though it's included in FSX for useas a ATC controller "tool", it is easily ported to aircraft panels.I've even "installed" it as a selectable screen in the defaultA321 ECAMS2 gauge, alternating with the flight controls screen.There are a few quirks that I've noticed related to range ringsbut overall it provides visability of all the AI aircraft, alongwith the "normal" ATC tag info. Paul

Wide-5.jpg

I didn't test this, but I knew it was doable.In my new radar gauge for FSX, I will also provide an interaction with the HUD for use in military aircrafts. I'm not sure the FSX ATC gauge can be used this way ;-)Eric

Guest FS-boy

Eric, Do you have a method for accessing the AI traffic information? As I mentioned earlier, Arne Bartel was kind enough to share his early development software of his TCAS gauge with me. Once I saw how it worked, I re-did the graphics and added several additional calculations to come up with a radar gauge that looked like an F-18 radar display. All this worked great in FS9. Unfortunately, none of it is working right in FSX. If I only knew how to access the AI traffic information in FSX, I could reprogram my radar gauge. Can you be of any assistance? If so, feel free to send me a personal message (PM).

Reading the AI traffic in FSX works exactly the same way as it did in fs9, and it is fully documented by Microsoft. No hack here ;-)Eric

Guest lc0277

Hi Eric,Glad to hear that news. It will really add more entertainment for military panels !Did you manage to draw a target designation box on your HUD ? I tried to do it, but never managed to gather precise informations about user viewpoint and projections mode. Thus my square was always 30 pixels away from the target and I cannot correct it efficiently.Thanks for the new radar gauge!-- -lc0277

This is my plans, but I didn't test it yet. I would really like to do this, but I'm not sure it's going to work fine because 1) the designation box coordinates are not easy to compute and 2) the AI traffic information is updated only once per second (to keep a good frame rate), and your aircraft moves during a second...As soon as I have some results I will let you know.Eric

I wonder where Arne is?To answer a previous question, Arne's will not work in FSX. I tried Bill's suggestions of where to put the dll's and tried the xml file mod, and tried numerous other things as well, but to no avail.Arne, where are you ???cheers,nick

Guest FS-boy

Nick, As best as I can tell, Arne's RADAR and TCAS gauges use a SORT routine to keep track of the AI aircraft. One of the key parameters that the SORT routine keys off of is ATC_ID. The FS9 method for acquiring ATC_ID doesn't work in FSX. If I figure out a way to make this work, I'll pass it on.

Here is Arne's original source code for his Traffic Radar. Note that it depends on trafficinfo.dll which no longer exists in FSX.IIRC though, in FSX that is now the fs_traffic.dll so it "might" be possible to rework this to use that instead.I simply don't have the time to test any of this myself...BTW, I was corresponding with Arne up until about four months ago, when suddenly return messages quit coming. I have no idea why...The entire source code and sample files for TrafficRadarXML are available here at AVSIM:http://library.avsim.net/download.php?DLID=88811

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator