Sign in to follow this  
Gypsy Baron

Manual engine start in FSX....

I'm attempting to restore the manual engine startingcapability to the FSDZigns L-049A Connie but am beingfoiled by the FSX "improvements"...I understand that the engine start toggle is now atrue toggle and have attempted to mod the code, takingthat into account. However, I see the starter "ON" forabout 1-2 seconds, the selected engine Generator warninglight goes out and the BMEP gauge just comes off the peg,but that's as far as it goes. The engine never catchesand generator light comes back on and the starter switchreturns to OFF.If I use the "Autostart" that is included on the panel orcode a "(>K:ENGINE_AUTO_START)" into my gauge code, thestarter switch acts the same...ON for 1-2 seconds then "OFF"but the engines start OK.I've tried using "1 (>K:TOGGLE_MASTER_STARTER_SWITCH)" butbut that does nothing, although that is the exact code thatis used to start the B737-800.I have made the initial mouse click non-repeating so thatit only generates one "(>K:TOGGLE_STARTER1)".I added code to test for the starter active and combustion,and if both are true, I generate a second "(>K:TOGGLE_STARTER1)".However, the circumstances remain the same with or withoutthe above test and key event.Basically NOTHING that I have found will start the Connieengines other than the "(>K:ENGINE_AUTO_START)" eventor a keyboard CTL+E input. This is unacceptable.As far as I can tell, all the conditions for engine startare met...fuel pumps on, magneto -> Both, Battery on, mixtureat full rich. If anyone has any insight as to what other things arehappening within the Engine Autostart code that mayshed light on why the once-working-but-no-longer engine starter function fails, I would appreciate input.Another bit of info....in the 737-800:1 (>K:ENGINE_AUTO_START) This code will start the engine1 but the "Start Valve Open" light will remainON in the EICAS display. Using Ctl-E to start the engines will extinguish the"Start Valve Open" indicator after the engine starts!The EICAS code for displaying the Start Valve state tests:(A:General eng1 starter, bool)The above results clearly indicate that in the first instance,the starter stays on, while in the 2nd ( CTL+E ) the startergets turned off after engine start.Clearly, even the ACES engine start code is a bit buggy!TIA, Paul

Wide-5.jpg

Replying to myself here but thabks to a post by Pacoover in the freeflightdesign forum I have been ableto "fix" the L-049A Connie starting problems.I can now start them as god intended...#3, #1, #2, #4!I am in touch with Brian Selb who just uploaded the L-049Afor FSX and will be giving him the revisions that I have made which fix this starting problem, FE fuel quantity gaugeproblems and the engine flame effect problem. I've also re-formatted the Check and Ref HTM documents so they can now be read with the "new and improved"kneeboard ( ugh! ).I'm finding that the defauly Beach Baron, Grumman Gooseand the King Air aircraft can not be started with the onboard manual starters unless you first use CTL-E tostart them, then shut down. You can then use the manualstarters to re-start the engines. Pretty useless, eh?Stay tuned for the Connie updates in a day or two.I may continue to look for a solution to the otheraircraft that can not be started from cold & dark without resorting to "autostart". Thanks for "fixing"that, Aces :( Paul

Wide-5.jpg