Sign in to follow this  
Geofa

Phone Calls on Approach!!!!!

Why do I even bother trying to flight sim when the #### phone rings at least 1/3 the time on final! God it's so irritating. Now I don't get that many calls at all, but the ones I do get I feel I need to answer. I swear I can go through an entire flight, but as soon as I need to "fly" the plane, I get an interruption.

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

Guest zacharace

Lol, I can definitely relate. Caller ID helps a lot, I've found.I think I flew an entire approach (with ATC) while talking to an important someone on the phone once; makes life interesting. ;)

Now I know why I don't like to fly airliners or long flights because they get ruined so much of the time. I love flying airliners, but so much goes into the planning compared to even the most intensive GA IFR flight.I think I'm gonna start taking the phone off the hook. I just get guilty when I see it's a good friend who I haven't spoken to in a while or someone who knows I'm home. Don't even get me started on having a girlfriend now! It's a wonder I ever get to fly at all, being 36, having a GF and other things going on... :-

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

You think that is bad-I was flying with another pilot as copilot on a trip. Just after flaring and landing-his cell phone rang. He stopped on the runway, picked up his cell phone and started talking. The tower started yelling at us to get off the runway-while I was gestering to him to get off of the phone. After he hung up and was finally taxiing he turned to me and said "my wife picks the darndest time to call me". I pointed out to him that he didn't have to answer the phone and he said he hadn't thought of that. :-hmmmGeofaMy blog:http://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/

Guest bstolle

LOL now that's really hairraising!I remember that it happened not only once when were thundering down the runway, just before V1 the captains cell phone starting ringing and both of us pretending that we didn't here anything ;)

I suppose turning off "cell phones and pagers" does not apply to cockpit personnel, eh? :)RhettFS box: E8500 (@ 3.80 ghz), AC Freezer 7 Pro, ASUS P5E3 Premium, BFG 8800GTX 756 (nVidia 169 WHQL), 4gb DDR3 1600 Patriot Cas7 7-7-7-20 (2T), PC Power 750, WD 150gb 10000rpm Raptor, Seagate 500gb, Silverstone TJ09 case, Vista Ultimate 64ASX Client: AMD 3700+ (@ 2.6 ghz), 7800GT

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

That's what I call multitasking! I know how that is. I once read where women talk 20,000 words per day. Men talk 13,000 words per day. I don't know how their vocal cords take it...RhettFS box: E8500 (@ 3.80 ghz), AC Freezer 7 Pro, ASUS P5E3 Premium, BFG 8800GTX 756 (nVidia 169 WHQL), 4gb DDR3 1600 Patriot Cas7 7-7-7-20 (2T), PC Power 750, WD 150gb 10000rpm Raptor, Seagate 500gb, Silverstone TJ09 case, Vista Ultimate 64ASX Client: AMD 3700+ (@ 2.6 ghz), 7800GT

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Guest NoobPilot

Yeah, but we type close to 20,000 more!

Guest bstolle

It does apply but sometimes you need to call the company (or girlfriend) just before engine start and thereafter some captains forget to turn it off. (Alzheimer ;) )RegardsBernt

Now I realy wondern if it is realy nessesary to turn off the cellphone on a plane! Ok, I know at Flightlevel there is now chance to get a cellphone relay tower connected. But near approach the signal will eventualy get out of the planes faradays cage and will reach a relay tower...Has anyone of the real pilots ever experienced that mobiles interfere with the FMC or any other electronics on board?_______________________Regards, Torben HadlerBeta-Tester ACLoader 3 + 4http://www.fsflightdeck.com/acloader.htmlT-A-H MultiMedia Productions Torben Hadler - http://www.t-a-h.com || t-a-h@t-a-h.comHardware: CPU: AMD 64 X2 Socket 939 3600 @ x2 2Ghz | MoBo: MSI K8N Neo2 64 | RAM: 2048MB 400MHz DDR | NVIDIA GF7600 | Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS 5.1Ch | CH-YOKE + Peddals; Primary: 17" Belinea TFT * Secondary: Philips 150S4 TFT 15" || Software: Display Resolution used: 1280x1024 in WinXP and FS9.1 | WinXP Pro SP1b (German Version); DX9c | FS9.1 pro (German Versions) - all sliders maxed about 85-95% | ever latest FSUIPC licenced | ASv6 | Alert!! pro | UT 2004 | RC4.x | FSBuild 2 | ACLoader 4.x and much more...

Guest bstolle

Yes, they do interfere. These are those I experienced.A video camera in the cabin which completely shut down the DC bus on the Dash8 and this is no fun at night. (tested this on ground again to confirm and it 'worked' again)Dailing a number in flight made the autopilot climb in the Dash7Using a cellphone near the cargo compartment on the CRJ100 on ground triggered the cargo fire warning

ok, so this is a nown issue! Why the heck do pilots forget to turn them off when they enter the plane??? We passengers have to and if we don't and a f/a finds out, we are in big trouble. What happens with pilots, who is controlling them about it? They have the big responsibility..._______________________Regards, Torben HadlerBeta-Tester ACLoader 3 + 4http://www.fsflightdeck.com/acloader.htmlT-A-H MultiMedia Productions Torben Hadler - http://www.t-a-h.com || t-a-h@t-a-h.comHardware: CPU: AMD 64 X2 Socket 939 3600 @ x2 2Ghz | MoBo: MSI K8N Neo2 64 | RAM: 2048MB 400MHz DDR | NVIDIA GF7600 | Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS 5.1Ch | CH-YOKE + Peddals; Primary: 17" Belinea TFT * Secondary: Philips 150S4 TFT 15" || Software: Display Resolution used: 1280x1024 in WinXP and FS9.1 | WinXP Pro SP1b (German Version); DX9c | FS9.1 pro (German Versions) - all sliders maxed about 85-95% | ever latest FSUIPC licenced | ASv6 | Alert!! pro | UT 2004 | RC4.x | FSBuild 2 | ACLoader 4.x and much more...

Guest bstolle

>Why the heck do pilots forget to turn them off when they enter the plane???Well, because they are human?Do you think that e.g. the spanair pilots have forgot to extend the flaps intentionally?

which of the many crashes are you writing about? Forgetting to extend flaps would result in a Stick-Shaking as a warning about a stall. Than ever pilot would push the throttle to max and dive the nose a bit to get more speed. How can a pilot forget to extend the flaps on approach?Well, any Airbus would resist to fly a too slow speed if the flaps are not extended as supposed... such a safety guard is not installed in old MD planes...So, I know you can buy devices which detects the waves a mobile phone is transmitting. There was a time you could by such little devices and turn off the sound of your mobile - this belt device would start lightning when you get a call... so, just a short thought - why not have such devices in the cockpit where no F/A would check the pilots if they have them turned off? And connect this device with a brake actuator, so the plane will not deactivate the parking brakes untill no mobile phone is detected.... _______________________Regards, Torben HadlerBeta-Tester ACLoader 3 + 4http://www.fsflightdeck.com/acloader.htmlT-A-H MultiMedia Productions Torben Hadler - http://www.t-a-h.com || t-a-h@t-a-h.comHardware: CPU: AMD 64 X2 Socket 939 3600 @ x2 2Ghz | MoBo: MSI K8N Neo2 64 | RAM: 2048MB 400MHz DDR | NVIDIA GF7600 | Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS 5.1Ch | CH-YOKE + Peddals; Primary: 17" Belinea TFT * Secondary: Philips 150S4 TFT 15" || Software: Display Resolution used: 1280x1024 in WinXP and FS9.1 | WinXP Pro SP1b (German Version); DX9c | FS9.1 pro (German Versions) - all sliders maxed about 85-95% | ever latest FSUIPC licenced | ASv6 | Alert!! pro | UT 2004 | RC4.x | FSBuild 2 | ACLoader 4.x and much more...