Sign in to follow this  
bcs112

Detecting menu and moving panels ?

Hi all,Since the kind people from MS have made the FSX main menu bar floating over the simulator window, it now happens that parts of panels are hidden behind that menu.This is off course very annoying, especially if you have switches for instance that are now no longer clickable unless the menu is hidden (just found that pressing AltGr for a few seconds will do that btw).Because there seems to be no obvious way to detect if the main menu is visible or not, I have moved some panels down a bit so they are located just below the menu bar. So far so good, but, and you saw this one comming I guess, if you then hide the menu, or switch to full screen mode, the panels are floating somewhat below the top of the screen ! So now I have two questions:- did anyone find a way to detect if the main menu is visible (using C++)- and if so, is there a way I can move and resize the panels so they fit again ?Thanks for the help !Bj

simcheck_sig_banner_devteam.jpg

Bj

I use the following to detect if the main window (2d panel) is visible and set another variable "vc_active" accordingily: if ( !is_panel_window_visible_ident(0) ) { vc_active = 1 ; } else { vc_active = 0 ; }I use this to "stop drawing/displaying" VC gauges whenever the 2d panel is on screen, as there's little point in spending the CPU resources to draw 'em if they're not visible! ;)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Yes, I had the same problem when I tried to place the Icon of my "groundhandling" window at the top of the screen.Of course, there may be a way to work around this yet another newly introduced "feature" :-( in FSX, like you suggest, but I gave up.I took the simple way out, by just making sure that I have no clickable spots in the menu bar area when made visible.Rob

>And how is that variable used to suppress the individual>gauge display?>FredAll gauges run as a continuous, in-process loop at 18Hz while loaded.By watching the flag, it's rather simple to suspend the loop for any gauge. For example:if (vc_active == 1) { do gauge stuff ; ) else { NULL ; }

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Hi Bill,Yes I know about this one (read it in another thread by you ;))and I use it in fact for other things but that doesn't tell you if the Menu bar is shown nor does it enable you to move a window.Bj

Bj

Hi Rob,That was also my last resort, like you say, not really a good way to solve it but maybe the best we can do. It is really a shame that MS always adds stuff and then leaves us to find a way to get your panels to work again...Bj

Bj