Sign in to follow this  
Guest Staggerwing

Finally...the "real" KSEA!

Well, I've been all over the world and most of the U.S., but I've never been to Seattle. I've been to South Africa (20 hour flight), all over Europe, Hawaii, and most to the Continental U.S., but NEVER the beloved airport of KSEA from which I've flown in FSX so very, very much. I've enjoyed many take-offs and landings at KSEA and Boeing Field, and I've always loved looking down at where the Seattle Seahawks play! I've circled the Space Needle, and have used this great airport very often when testing FSX config setups for FPS comparison rates.Last night (the 20th), my Wife and I finally flew into Seattle on a commercial flight! We're staying here a few days at the Marriott Waterfront right across from where we'll board a Cruise ship to Alaska. It was wonderful to descend through the "thickest layers of clouds" I've ever been in. We finally broke through and THERE IT WAS...just as I remember it in FSX. The City....the Space Needle...the Stadium...Boeing Field...and SO much that I'm already familiar with. So...here we are, and, of course, it was raining heavily when we landed. Today (the 21st), it's overcast and somewhat cold. This is how I pictured Seattle, Washington. It's a beautiful city, and I thank my FSX experience for making it even more beautiful.

Thoses cruises up the coast of Alaska are supposed to be grand.A friend of my takes that cruise every two years.It's supposed to be awesome scenery wise.

Stan, welcome to the northwest. I moved here for a lark back in 1977 from Pennsylvania. I'd gotten a job here and decided to spend a few years, but always planned to return to the East.31 years later, I'm still a Seattlite. Something about this place just grew on me in a big way.I had dinner one night in the restaurant of your Hotel, very fancy. The waterfront and Belltown, the neighborhood just uphill from you, has been changing a lot over the recent years. As I get older, I more lose touch with the changes, seems like everytime I go anywhere I say, hey! when did they build that? That's how it was when I was invited to that dinner....My lady and I went to meet this friend according to the directions, and I said....hey! When did they build that? Perhaps the weather will clear before you leave, then again, we've already had a month of sunshine. Enjoy your vacation. My parents took that cruise some 20 years ago, I remember they enjoyed it.Best,Bob Bernstein

Thanks for the responses. I plan to go around the corner today from this hotel to Pike's Fish Market...supposed to be a "must-see"! I will only have today and half of tomorrow in Seattle before getting on the ship. We return to Seattle near the end of the month.We had dinner last night at McCormick & Schmick's (1st Ave and Spring St.)....real Seattle LOCAL atmosphere. Great food and wonderful service.

It is funny how if you fly around an airport in the sim long enough you feel like you already know it when you get there in real life.If you come across any good bush airstrips along the way take plenty of pictures! You'll probably want to then fly to those places when you back to FSX.

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

Great idea about the remote Bush airstrips. I especially DO like flying in Alaska with Real Weather. I will be on the lookout.Will do!

You are just about to visit the most beautiful area on earth IMHO. In addition, it certainly is the flying capital of the world.The side trips that I am sure your cruise includes will thrill you. Sitka is my favorite city. Misty Fjords is my pick as far as scenery is concerned, so if you get a chance to take a float plane there, I highly recommend it.If I can before I die of old age, my plans are to go back to Alaska, but the next time I will throw both my calendar and my watch in a drawer. I will stay in one spot until I get my fill and move on to the next. I would love to just rent a spot for the entire traveling season (or for life for that matter).Happy cruising:RTH

Hi Stan,Welcome to Seattle. I live just across the bay from where you are staying. My wife and I have been to Alaska eight times since it is so easy when you live only 15 minutes from the dock.Which ship are you on, there are nine leaving over the next 3 days.If you would like some info send me an e-mail or call me. I am in the phone bookTomTHibben@prodigy.net

We'll be leaving from Pier 30 and will be aboard the "Rhapsody of the Seas", a Royal Caribbean ship. My cruise is 7 days and goes to Juneau, Skagway, Ttacy Arm Fjord, Prince Ruppert (British Columbia), and cruises the Inside Passage back to Seattle.

I just returned home from Alaska. You were right...what a fabulous state, and what scenery to see from the water and the air. I plan to post some pics taken from a DeHavilland Otter Float plane (I actually sat in co-pilot's right seat). We flew over 5 glaciers, and it was spectacular. I look forward to sharing some of these pics with you, but it's now 1:34 AM and I just returned from SeaTac. Talk to you very soon.Thanks for all your input.ps. Looks like John McCain picked an Alaskan Governor for his running mate! What a coincidence.

I posted some of my pictures from my Alaskan Floatplane adventure on this forum. I'm still excited thinking about that experience. Seeing a glacier for the first time is an incredible feeling. Hopefully, you'll get a feel for the moment.

Guest Staggerwing

Well, not posted in THIS forum...Stan's photos are in the Real Aviation section within the screen shot forum at the top if you'd like to see them.