Sign in to follow this  
Guest Stoopy

EXE Installer - Registry Lookup for FSX Install Folder?

Guest Stoopy

Greetings, and I hope this is the right forum for this question. Also I beg your indulgence if the question and answer is already here. Tried the search function before posting, and although I found a lot that was close, I didn't find this.For anyone familiar with creating self-install executables for FS add-ons using Install Creator, the default install path can be entered and there is also an option for the install program to look up the specific install path through the registry. This is what I've used in the past to avoid problems for people who have installed to a non-standard location, or are using something other than the english language version of Windows.Question is, I don't see FSX install path entries in the registry (as an aside I'm wondering if this is an issue with having the Demo installed when I loaded the full version), so is this information anywhere else or is there another option?In short, I am looking for the "FSX Equivalent" of these registry Key and Subkey values which are for FS9:Root Key: "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" (natch)Key: "SOFTWAREMicrosoftMicrosoft GamesFlight Simulator9.0"Subkey: "EXE Path"Thanks in advance for any helpful answers. :)P.S. I'm aware of the ZIP-vs.-EXE install debate and FYI the installers I create always allow for installs to temporary or other folders, don't make uninstall entries, nor add anything to the start menu or desktop, or anywhere else....so they're about as "right" as they can be for either side of the coin. Thanks!

From the FSX version of gauges.h:#define FS_REG_BASE "SOFTWAREMicrosoftMicrosoft GamesFlight Simulator10.0"The subkey is "SetupPath"Doug

Guest Stoopy

Thank you, very much, Doug!I juuust found the answer before coming back here to post it for the record in case anyone else ever goes searching for this question......but your verification helps, thanks again.Root Key: "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" Key: "SOFTWAREMicrosoftMicrosoft GamesFlight Simulator10.0"Subkey: "SetupPath"Now it's time for a personal vendetta as to what the heck happened to both my FSX and FS9 registry entries after uninstalling the Demo 2. Curiously (or not), the SDK entries are there. But that's my problem and I'll hunt it down and fix it, as it strays OT from the purpose of this forum...thanks!Erich