Sign in to follow this  
Geofa

Airport Choice for Oregon State 757 Charter

I am a big Penn State football fan and try to get to as many games as I can get tix for. (Usually next to impossible!) I like to drive by KUNV the University Park Airport on the way to the game to check out what charter the opposing team comes in on and what type of plane. Usually its either a 737 or DC9. Last weekend PSU played Oregon State, and since I couldn't go to the game, I checked out the team flight on FlightAware. Nothing seemed to be coming in from Calif to KUNV, so I decided to check out KMDT in Harrisburg. (PSU used to use KMDT for their team charters before KUNV was updated.) Sure enough, the Oregon State charter went out of Eugene OR on Thursday, they had a 2 hour bus ride to State College, and after the game had a two hour bus ride back to the airport on Saturday for a red eye back to Eugene getting in at 1:00 am Pacific time.(4:00 AM Eastern!) This charter was on a USAir 757. Is anyone familiar with these two airports? KUNV is an uncontrolled field, and accepts private jets, commuter airlines, and 737s, MD80s etc. KMDT is controlled. Why would the 757 fly into KMDT which is 2 hours away instead of KUNV? As I said, I have seen numerous 737s and DC-9s. Can't a 757 land at the same airports? I checked the charts and the main ILS RW24 runway is 6701' long. Just curious. Thanks Tom

KMDT is my home airport. Has an extremely long runway here. Can easily accommodate pretty much anything flying today. Can't comment on KUNV but perhaps it's easier to get into KMDT and do their operations through there as a controlled field.BTW, "WE ARE PENN STATE!!!"Tim

Guest frozen

The sort of considerations an operator has to think of are:1. Opening times2. LCN and PCN - essentially pavement strengths (I used to book L-1011s into places and the config of their gear made them more likely to crack a pavement surface)3. Fire cover for that a/c type. Bigger jet = more cover reqd.4. Handling equipment - do they have steps to reach a 757 sill?5. Fuel - almost certainly not an issue, but worth checking!6. Weather7. Customs entry point, if from overseas8. Noise abatement9. Work in progressThat's all the ones I can think of, but gives a flavour.

According to the data on airnav.com - the KUNV runway has a max weight bearing capacity of 110,000 lbs with double wheel gear. That's enough for B737 / MD-8x aircraft - but a B757 MTOW runs near 250,000 lbs - for a 2,000+ flight back to Eugene it would need to be over 200,000 lbs takeoff weight - maybe more.That does not mean a B757 cannot use KUNV - but it would almost certainly be against most company procedures to fly charter passengers into / out of that airport.KMDT has a capacity of 330,000 lbs with double wheel gear - and 550,000 with double tandem.Aside from the runway distance - which is 6,700 feet for KUNV and 10,000 feet for KMDT.

Thanks Reggie. I never thought of all those considerations. For example, I always think of runway length but never thought of the weight limits. I guess an entire football team with all that equipment would really press the limits. tom

I just landed at State College a few weeks ago. http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N7345R/...1410Z/KPTK/KUNVMy neighbors son is one of the punters for the team-we flew there to have lunch with him. Only thing I can think is weather-how was it-or above mentioned restrictions? The airport is between two mountain ridges..Very nice airport though-have a feeling I'll be going to a few games there....Downwind for unv:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/192386.jpgGeofaMy blog:http://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/

Hi Geofa,Funny you mentioned weather. Hurricane Hanna was supposed to make a bigger hit on the area than she did. By game time it was just light showers and by halftime nothing but clouds. Most of the storm and rain was further east near my home in Wilkes-Barre where we had over an inch of rain. Still better than forcasted. They flew in on Thursday so maybe you have a point that they were looking at the bleak forecast. Still, on gameday its amazing to see all the private planes flying in. By the way, that's a great shot of Beaver Stadium and please let me know if you ever are coming in and have an extra ticket!! tom:-)

You are not kidding-we have had about 4" here in Michigan and expecting more tomorrow. Not much press about that!Could be they were anticipating that-glad the game got to be played.GeofaMy blog:http://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/

I did go in by car last year with my neighbor-got the parent seating-very nice.I doubt though I'll have an extra ticket-with what ticket scalping prices are I joked to my neighbor we should fly in and make a quick profit- :lol.GeofaMy blog:http://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/