Sign in to follow this  
Ray Proudfoot

Concorde at JFK?

Guest Staggerwing

G-BOAD should still be stored at Floyd Bennett Field while it's regular home beside the carrier/museum Intrepid gets an overhaul.Floyd Bennett Field is just across Jamaica Bay from JFK and you might have seen it down there going into JFK. BTW, G-BOAD is not getting the care it should while stored there, went to see it and it's outside a public sports complex on the airfield where it is going down hill and is not even kept clean. Latest is that the nose cone has been broken off by a passing truck, British Airways isn't happy with the lack of care and the contract to keep it on display until 2013 might not get renewed if this keeps up.Edit; as far as I can see, it's still at Floyd Bennett Field as contracted.Perhaps they SHOULD move it to JFK for better storage and viewing, at least it might survive the wait for it's home on the Hudson River beside the Intrepid. Although, the move back to the Intrepid museum should be coming up pretty soon.

Given the historic value of this aircraft it's sad to read of its condition. I hope those in charge get the situation resolved asap.G-BOAC has been parked in the Viewing Park here at Manchester since Oct 2003. There are plans to build a transparent shelter for it to protect it from the elements. I hope it will not be permanently displayed like this. Maybe just during the non-summer months. That'll be the last 2 weeks of July then! :-)I'm sure it brings a lot of pleasure to those who fly into Manchester who would otherwise never see her. Just a pity she won't fly again. :-(

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Guest Staggerwing

That's for sure, it felt so sad to visit there and see this proud aircraft in these surroundings and be more or less "in the way" of the sports complex they have there. It's just outside the main entrance to the huge sports building of converted hangers. This IS on the airfield side so not exposed to street traffic and public passing by. otherwise it would no doubt be covered in graffiti by now I'm sure. Floyd Bennett Field is famous itself so nothing wrong with being there, and making use of the buildings for community sports is also a good thing, but they really need to treat this aircraft with the respect it deserves in addition to keeping it safe and intact for future restoration.

It annoys me when I hear that the BA Concordes aren't getting the care that they deserve. If those guys can't be bothered to look after G-BOAD, then BA should get it hauled back to Britain instead. If you ask me, deciding to stick it next to an old aircraft carrier by the sea was a stupid idea anyway....

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

That may well happen Christopher since BA don't appear impressed with the care it's receiving. These aircraft are extremely rare and don't deserve the lack of attention.When you look at this picture it's not difficult to understand why the nose was damaged.http://www.planepictures.net/netshow.php?id=732811

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Guest paradoxbox

by the way, there's another concorde parked near KBFI out in Washington. Not far from Seattle. Makes a great day trip. Tour Seattle, watch a ball game with Ichiro and the mariners, then hit up the aviation museum and check out the concorde. I highly recommend it!Sorry, but that was well over the allowed 150K file size

Thanks for the replies guys.That does sound like a great trip, too bad the Mariners are not doing well this year (except Ichiro of course).Cheers,

Regards,

BoeingGuy

customer.jpg

ASUS P5E X38 | Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.2 GHz on 1600 MHz FSB (400x8) | 4 GB DDR2-800 RAM | EVGA GeForce 8800 GT Superclocked @ 679/979 | 320 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 RPM HD

Hi all,During summer, I had the pleasure of landing at JFK airport for the first time. On approach, amidst a collection of hangars, I thought I saw a Concorde parked somewhere down there. Were my eyes deceiving me, or is there a Concorde parked down there? This was on June 3rd, 2008.Thanks!

Regards,

BoeingGuy

customer.jpg

ASUS P5E X38 | Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.2 GHz on 1600 MHz FSB (400x8) | 4 GB DDR2-800 RAM | EVGA GeForce 8800 GT Superclocked @ 679/979 | 320 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 RPM HD

Guest Staggerwing

The Intrepid is finished and back at it's dock on the Hudson river, let's hope they now focus on the Concorde and give her the special care she needs.

Excellent news! Please keep us posted on developments.Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Guest Staggerwing
Excellent news! Please keep us posted on developments.Cheers,
Sure didn't make the news that I saw, but as of Oct 2008 ,Concorde G-BOAD is spruced up and back at the Intrepid museum where it will get better treatment and be seen by more people!

Went to the Intrepid during Christmas vacation, she could have used a washing and someone needs to give the cabin some attention. Judging by some of the other aircraft on display, doesn't look like it will happen.Brandon