Sign in to follow this  
samdim

Polygon count

Guest Dave Waffler

Is there a utility out there that can count the polygons of aircraft that are already created, or is this only done in the program which the aircraft was created in. Reason for my asking is this, I was trying an aircraft that had a small .mdl file, and very little for textures, but when I tried using this plane as an AI plane, I took a serious hit in FPS. The plane was supposed to be an AI plane also, only thing I think it could be is the polygons, just don't know if there's a way to show how many polygons the aircraft has

HiThere is a utility called ACM (Aircraft Container Manager) which can be used unregistered to view the number of polygons (faces) on an aircraft model.The utility allows you to view each LOD involved and the polygons per LOD.There are many aircraft which have quite a high number of faces and they do take a hit on the PC. If the main model has in excess of say 3500 faces then it becomes unsuitable for AI.The more textures there are the greater the hit as well.Do a google on ACM and you should be able to locate it readily. If you don't have any luck post here again.CheersMike

Guest Dave Waffler

Thanks Mike, will do that. I just found it really funny that a plane that was listed as an AI plane caused such a hit on my framerates when I put them in. and it was the only plane at the military base I was sitting at.

Guest Patrick_Waugh

Also, if you hit (I think it is the '7' key) it will display the number of polys in the upper left corner.

There is also a tool called "Polygon Counter" in the tools pane in 3DSMAX. It counts polygons (and/or triangles) for the whole model as well as for a single part.To make a light AI model be sure to fit all the textures on a single bitmap. I hope, you've made several LOD models too.

banner_samdim_q400_nrw.png