Sign in to follow this  
n4gix

Wacky tooltips (where do they come from?)

Guest fbnweoghnwd

I made some XML gauges by modifying some existing stock gauges. The main thing I did was replace the bitmaps, with little or no changes to the XML. I just assumed that the tooltip that comes up in the sim is the one that you enter into the gauge's XML file, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I can change the "Tooltip ID" entry in the gauge's XML file and it has no effect. Some of these gauges are displaying wacky tooltips in the sim that have nothing to do with either the words I specified in the XML or the original gauge that I'm modifying (my transmission oil pressure gauge claims to be a "throttle lever"!) Where do these tooltips come from, if not the gauge's XML file?

Guest Patrick_Waugh

You'll need to post some code (which is strangely missing in a post in which you check the box for posting code), for us to be able to help you.

You also need to be clear which version of the sim you're using. There are significant differences between FS9 and FSX XML code schemes.You also should have the SDK for whichever version you're working with, because the full list of preprogrammed "tooltips" are listed in them, along with instructions on how they're used.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest fbnweoghnwd

I'm using FSX.After my first post I looked at my gauges again, and I have some more info:I noticed that only some of them are displaying the wierd tooltips; the others work normally. The ones that are displaying incorrect tooltips are "fake" gauges - their only purpose is to display a static background image. I've got about a zillion engine temperature and presure gauges in the aircraft I'm building, and I don't want or need to use true gauges; I plan on just using static bitmaps that have needles always pointing in the green zone.So, a code sample:As you can see, the only thing I tried to do here is display the background image and specify a tooltip. When I mouseover this gauge in FSX, the tooltip says "Throttle lever". Where it's getting that from, I have no idea. (I have another similar gauge that thinks it's a "Tow Release".)I also tried eliminating the tooltip code altogether, as in:With this new code, I still get a "Throttle lever" tooltip.So, the question now becomes: Is there a way I can specify tooltips for these dummy gauges? They don't even need to display a value; a tooltip that says something like "Transmission Oil Pressure" would be fine. Failing that, I could even be happy with a gauge that displays no tooltip at all - the important thing is to suppress those goofy ones.

Hi,Try to use:"Anything you want, or nothing!"Jan"Beatus ille qui procul negotiis..."

Precisely as Jan said. The tag is a flag that tells the sim to fetch and use the pre-defined "tooltip" with the ID Name specified. If you use an invalid name, then the sim will use whatever the last ID Name specified - or - even some random tooltip!For "custom" tooltips, use the "xxx" tag pair.

Fr. Bill    

>Precisely as Jan said. The tag is a flag that>tells the sim to fetch and use the pre-defined>"tooltip" with the ID Name specified. If you use an invalid>name, then the sim will use whatever the last ID Name>specified - or - even some random tooltip!>>For "custom" tooltips, use the "xxx" tag>pair.Unfortunately that form does not work in an Aces XML gauge.I have yet to find a way to add "user defined" tooltips withina AceXML gauge. Have had to resort to the totally inadequate set of predefined tooltips and HELPID's.... Paul ( who has heavily "customized" default FSX cockpits )

Wide-5.jpg

Yet another reason to stick with FS9 and ignore FSX.In an OT moment, one might be forgiven for thinking that Vista and FSX are part of an MS eye-candy triumph over functionality.Cheers,Glenn

Guest fbnweoghnwd

It looked good til I saw those last 2 posts. For a minute there, I thought there was a simple solution...silly me! Guess I'll end up doing the gauge backgrounds as regular texture maps.

Hi,It's not that bad if the gauges you are working on in FSX are of FS9 type. Just use your script as recommended in this thread and it will show correctly in FSX.Tom

>Unfortunately that form does not work in an Aces XML gauge.Well, not to sound like a heretic, but why not code the bloody gauge you need WITHOUT using the ACE XML tool?Actually, truth be told, even ACES has admitted that the "ACE XML Editor" was actually written to assist them in creating/editing scenery XML code. It was only later that they modified the schema to allow it to be used for XML gauge creation/editing.Given that the "Preview" function is the ACES tool is INOP anyway, there's no intrinsic advantage to using that tool versus notepad.exe... ;)

Fr. Bill    

Guest fbnweoghnwd

The your script isn't doing the job. I'm not using the Aces tool, just Notepad. At this point I'm just going to bite the bullet and do all the static gauges as bitmaps - less gray hair. But thanks to all for the help.

>The your script isn't doing the job. I'm>not using the Aces tool, just Notepad. At this point I'm just>going to bite the bullet and do all the static gauges as>bitmaps - less gray hair. But thanks to all for the help.I can't imagine why not. Here's a snippet from a working gauge: Close Simicons100 (>K:PANEL_ID_TOGGLE)

Fr. Bill    

>>Unfortunately that form does not work in an Aces XML gauge.>>Well, not to sound like a heretic, but why not code the bloody>gauge you need WITHOUT using the ACE XML tool?>I do use the "old" XML, Bill, if I'm creating a gauge but lately I've been doing some heavy mods to the default FSX gaugesthat are coded using AcesXML...adding various FSX radarfunctions to the MFD's and/or EFIS', adding selectablefeatures to some of those gauges, etc. It'd be nice if I could create a tooltip to describethe functions of the buttons and switches I've added or reassigned.I notice in several of the FSX gauges there are functions/switchesthat are "dummied out"...the basic code is there but thevariable is set to '0' and 'case=0' is the OFF state. In most cases there bitmaps for the 'ON' state or other intermediatestates so I've purloined them to do whatever I choose to.Boils down to the use of alot of 'boiler plate' code, methinks. Paul

Wide-5.jpg

True words, Bill.ACE is B*S*T... I gave it a very short try only... Thought the testing tool might be interesting (still looking for something doing this, any suggestions?) I'd strongly recommand to use an XML editor. There are several freeware available. I myself prefer Peter's XML editor vers. 1.1.1Back to the tooltips:for custom tooltips you can not use the built in ID tooltips.You will have to write them on your own.Something like this works foe a simple text:TEST TOOLTIPTo add some values, like the Engine #1 EGT:%EGT Engine 1 %((A:General eng1 exhaust gas temperature, celsius))%!d!%