Sign in to follow this  
scott967

PFJ F-28 panel file ref prob

I installed the recent PFJ F-28, which is a nice package, but had a problem the Rob Barendregt GPWS and groundhandling gauges that are included in the panel. After investigating what I found was that the path to parts of these gauges have hardcoded paths in panel.cfg and also a file XMLSound.ini. I installed the panel and sound folders in non-default locations, so the paths didn't work any longer.It seems like there should be an environemtn variable or something that points to the active panel and sound folders, so that it wouldn't have to be hardcoded? This is one of the lines from the panel.cfg:gauge69=PFJ-F28_XMLSound!dsd_xml_sound3, 0,0,,, ./aircraft/sounds/PFJ Fokker F28-sound/XMLSound.iniscott s..

Hello Scott,Looking at a few of your other posts, you seam like a helpfull guy in general. Hence, I'll try to answer your question without the sarcasm I initially intended when I saw your post described as a "PFJ-F28 panel file ref problem".First of all, it's a "problem" you induce yourself by messing around with the preset folders.Secondly, these pathnames are not hardcoded: they are relative to your main FS9 folder (where ever that might be on your PC).Very simular to the mechanism FS9 uses itself with aliased panels and sound folders; which you obviously DO know because you must have changed the panel.cfg and sound.cfg files in the Mk1000 and MK4000 folders to get anything to work at all in your setup.Or do you call that "hardcoded" as well ??Because, what better way to make such paths user-changeable in a textual .cfg file ??Thirdly, Doug Dawson's ....!dsd_xml_sound3.gau probably is one of the most downloaded addon gauges in the history of flightsimulation (either as a standalone gauge, or somehow packaged in another addon). So I wonder why you have never had this "problem" before; problably because you haven't been playing with the files/location of those other addons ??Allthough no doubt there will be other ways to solve this path defintion problem, this is just how it works.And to me this is by far the most flexible way of doing it, because it allows ini file to be named/located without ever causing a problem with other addons that might use the same XMLsound gauge.And as far as other solutions are concerned: ""It seems like there should be an environemtn variable ....""...should be ..: Why ? Does downloading freeware give you any rights to expect anything ?Besides, how do you imagine an Installer to set an "environment variable" (or any other automated path reference) at installation time when you start messing with the filenames/locations manually afterwards ???I also suggest, that in a next post you use a more neutral tone-of-voice in your writing, when you describe a "problem" which is caused by yourself not understanding all the possible consequences of changing file name/locations in FS. Regards, Rob Barendregt

As Rob has said, this is a self-inflicted wound. However, provided that you placed "stuff" in non-default folder(s), AND they are still at least withing the scope of the main FS9 root folder, then all you need to do is edit the relative paths specified in the panel.cfg file for each entry:Instead of:gauge69=PFJ-F28_XMLSound!dsd_xml_sound3, 0,0,,, ./aircraft/sounds/PFJ Fokker F28-sound/XMLSound.iniUse:gauge69=PFJ-F28_XMLSound!dsd_xml_sound3, 0,0,,, ./My Own Folder/sounds/PFJ Fokker F28-sound/XMLSound.ini

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Scott,The question of the environment variables you will have to take up with Microsoft. It would be nice if such variables were available, but they are not.Please keep in mind that if I had actually hard coded the file paths and names, then they would be embedded in the gauge code, and you simply would not be able to use non-default locations. The use of config files allows you the option of non-default locations, but you will have to take responsibility for making the required changes to panel.cfg and XMLSound.ini - I don't know where you put the stuff.If you have problems modifying the config file, the original version of the sound gauge, along with its documentation, is available here:http://library.avsim.net/search.php?Search...04gau&Go=SearchDoug Dawson

Hi Bill,Thanks for the further explanation :-)But I just assumed that, since Scott pinpointed the problem himself and has enough knowledge to change the panel/sound aliasses (which he must have done or otherwise the whole panel doesn't work) did already figure that out himself.Hence my "slight" irritation on the way he formulated his post.But maybe I've been getting too sensitive lately :-)Cheers, Rob

Thanks (I think) for the responses. I had a problem. I DIDN'T BLAME ANYONE OR ANYTHING FOR CRYING OUT LOUD. After all I wrote:...PFJ F-28, which is a nice package...It seems to be the problem is with the word hardcoded, which I guess is a fighting word here.After solving my problem, it seemed to me there might be some way of specifying something like %panel% since that seems to be the whole purpose of having the alias line and panel= line. So I made the mistake of asking in this forum. BTW, feel free to ask any scenery terrain questions in the scenery design forum, and I will do my best to be helpful, WITHOUT ANY SNIDE COMMENTS.scott s..