Sign in to follow this  
Guest RollerBall

XML Starter Switch Problem

Guest RollerBall

David Copley's P38 Lightning hasn't been 'officially' converted yet for FSX as far as I know so I'm messing around a bit for my own use. Its starter switches and mags are not compatible with FSX and although I've used the mag switches from another plane, I can't find starter switches that work. The problem is that they activate, the starters begin to power up, but because the engines take a while to start swinging over the switches un-toggle before the engines catch.I've written my own code based on examples I've found but my switches have the same problem. Here's my code(A:General eng1 starter,bool)The annoying thing is that if you press Ctrl-E the switches stay up and the engines start!I've done quite a bit of XML scenery stuff but this is my first foray into gauges and I'd be very grateful if soemone could point me in the right direction.Thanks in advance for any help.

I can't really help, but I too am quite interested in moving this P-38 to FSX, so if/when you get this problem solved, if you could post your gauge or code, I'd very much appreciate it.

Try using the Magneto Increase event, in place of the Toggle Starter event.Doug

Guest RollerBall

Thanks for the input folks. I raised this same issue over on The Old Hangar forum and Wozza posted this reply with a link to a discussion about the problem:Quote......HiAs you have found the toggle_starter is broken in FSX have a look at thishttp://www.aerodynamika.com/cgi-bin/yabb/Y...?num=1164305732for some suggestions on fixsWozzaEnd Quote......So I did and after tinkering and thinking, this is my reply...Thanks wozza. That helped solve the problem and also helped come up with some very useful information.I started off re-writing the code to use the method used by Jens Kristensen in his Albatross that I know works for that plane. But it still didn't work for me - better result because the way he did 'Repeat' stopped the start button toggling madly, but still no engine start.Then I thought about the comments made in the link you gave about engine RPM. So I went into the cfg file and upped the normalized_starter_torque figure.YAZZAMMM!! We got engine startSo then I went back to my original, simpler code (sorry Jens) and the engines still started nicely with the higher normalized_starter_torque figure.I experimented and ended up only increasing the figure from 0.02 to 0.04 and the engine startup sequence was then perfect with beautiful 'catching' sounds and speeding up to idle.So this is now how my starter code looks (just removed the 'Repeat' tag actually)(A:General eng1 starter,bool)But now the best bit.Milton Shupe's Aerodesigns Aerocommander transfers beautifully to FSX but, you've guessed it, it has the same startup problem.So I went into its cfg file, changed the normalized_starter_torque figure from 0.035 to 0.5 and BINGO!! problem solved.So there's more to this starter thing than meets the eye. Maybe it's not 'broken' as such - maybe all that's needed is to increase the starter torque compared to FS9 to get the engine 'spinning' at the correct (higher) RPM for startup.Worth looking at more closely as like many things, maybe the solution to the problem is easier than was first thought.Thanks again for your invaluable (as usual) input wozza ;-)I'll do a new cab file with the new gauges and a replacement panel.cfg for the P-38 and upload em to the usual places. All we'll need then is for the texturing of the starboard engine intake to be dealt with for FSX but at least with the gauges sorted we can get rid of those very annoying 'not compatible' nags.