Sign in to follow this  
scott967

Would you buy a Windows license on eBay

Right now there is a Windows XP Pro license on auction at tradera (Swedish part of eBay). This license is for Dell computer but it's claimed it can be installed on any computer since it's a full version. Do you see any problems or risks getting a Windows this way?

Guest Jeffhew

>Right now there is a Windows XP Pro license on auction at>tradera (Swedish part of eBay). This license is for Dell>computer but it's claimed it can be installed on any computer>since it's a full version. Do you see any problems or risks>getting a Windows this way?I see a number of potential problems. You can't be certain it's not pirated leaps to mind. If it's for a Dell, it's possible it wont work on any other system.If it's been previously registered to another user, you may not be able to activate or update it.No support.Those are just a few issues that I can think of off the top of my head. I wouldn't touch it!Regards,Jeff

I would be certain that it would install on a non-Dell machine. I have owned several Dell's and was reinstalling XP on my non-Dell machine and thought I would use an XP disk from the Dell I am now running Linux on. It would not install because it wasn't a Dell BIOS. Doing some googling I found that XP installs can be locked to a certain BIOS. Just something to look out for.EddieKABQ

Eddie
KABQ

Guest Shep

>Right now there is a Windows XP Pro license on auction at>tradera (Swedish part of eBay). This license is for Dell>computer but it's claimed it can be installed on any computer>since it's a full version. Do you see any problems or risks>getting a Windows this way?If the following, new info is to be believed, then don't buy!http://tinyurl.co.uk/7y6fRay

I got burned once buying software on EBay.I bought Vista Ultimate (don't buy it, it's a waste by the way... all you need is the home version).I thought I was getting the full version (not an upgrade version).I even asked the Seller directly to confirm that it's the full version given that the price was good. Seller said: 'yes, it's the full version'.Product arrives, and it turns out to be an Upgrade version.Seller gives some BS reply back about how you can still use it a full version if you install it a certain way.I was annoyed to say the least.Wound up getting a new laptop shortly thereafter that had Vista pre-installed, so it was all for not.Just a small lesson learned. Be cautious with EBay sellers even if they have good rep scores.Bryan

In this case the goods were misrepresented. I assume, though, if you had a windows XP license it would have updated?scott s..

It was actually an upgrade for Vista itself I recall (an upgrade to the Ultimate version from a lower Vista version). I of course thought I was getting the full version of Vista.There is a loop-hole in Vista Upgrade that allows you to install the full version "without" having Vista already installed on your system. The seller expected me to take advantage of this loop-hole. Truly bizarre.Bryan

Guest Shep

>>Right now there is a Windows XP Pro license on auction at>>tradera (Swedish part of eBay). This license is for Dell>>computer but it's claimed it can be installed on any>computer>>since it's a full version. Do you see any problems or risks>>getting a Windows this way?>>If the following, new info is to be believed, then don't buy!>>http://tinyurl.co.uk/7y6f>>RayFor some reason the tinyurl has failed in my post, so below is the warning attached to genuine UK legal OEM versions of Windows XP Pro that are for sale on ebay.COPY of relevant wording -VERY IMPORTANT Information with regards to Branded copies of XP such as Dell & HP that are being sold on eBay.These Dell versions will NOT pass the NEW Microsoft verification as they can ONLY be sold with a DELL (HP etc) PC that they originally came with.Dell etc, have a special oem licencing deal with Microsoft which enables them to get supplied XP at a very cheap price. In return Microsoft only allow the software to be installed on the EXACT same PC is was sold with.Do not be fooled by being told they will work OK. They will probably activate OK, but will NOT verify. This new verification means that you can ONLY get updates and downloads as long as your XP passes the verification.If you run a Dell version on a non Dell PC, then the verification will FAIL.COPY ENDI repost this as yesterday my OEM XP Pro systems had an updated Windows Genuine Advantage Notification (KB905474) that you probably need to carry on receiving updates. The warning above is possibly correct.Ray

I think maybe these branded versions of Windows are full of crapware anyway and you might be better off getting a true oem version.scott s..

>I think maybe these branded versions of Windows are full of>crapware anyway and you might be better off getting a true oem>version.>>scott s.>.>What does this statement mean, 'branded versions of Windows'?

Manufacturers that anticipate selling large quantities of the computers with identical or similar motherboards modify the OEM operating system sold with the computers so that:The manufacturer's custom OS installation code identifies the motherboard brand and model. IF the brand and model don't correspond to a fairly narrow range of that brand's model numbers, the OS installation media refuses to complete the installation. On the other hand, when installed on one of the proper motherboards the OS may be already activated.The OS installs with the manufacturer's customized software, which may include things like troubleshooting utilities, multimedia tutorials and promotions for other products from that manufacturer. There's even a potential for the manufacturer's logo to appear on the IE browser's toolbar.Software publishers may have made agreements with the computer manufacturer to subsidize the retail price in return for the installation of trial versions of their applications when the OS is installed. Even if the retail customer realizes they will have to make additional payment to use the software after a trial period, the trial versions aren't always easy to remove from the hard drive.

I recently bought an hp notebook with Win home prem 64 preinstalled. First off, you don't even get install disks anymore; the install is loaded into a hard disk partition. After you install the OS, it installs something called HP help and support. This actually isn't too bad -- it groups a lot of settings that can be a pain to find. Then it installs a huge number of trial apps and web shortcuts for stuff you probably don't want (unless maybe you've never owned a computer before).I know Dell also installs a windows that has been tuned for its machines.scott s..