Sign in to follow this  
pve

Tacan beacons on the gps map

Guest matt-c

How do i get tacan beacons to be displayed on the gps map?I've done all the locations in xml and can get them to display as VOR's but i need the icon to be a tacan.Heres a code snippet for a tacan location: ThanksMatt

Hello Matt The tacan Icon is hard coded in the GPS dll, not sure if you can change that. I use (A:GPS POSITION LAT, Radians) (>@c:NearestVorCurrentLatitude, Radians) (A:GPS POSITION LON, Radians) (>@c:NearestVorCurrentLongitude, Radians) 15 (>@c:NearestVorMaximumItems) 500 (>@c:NearestVorMaximumDistance, NMiles) 2 sp0 :0 l0 d (>@c:NearestVorRemoveVorType) -- s0 4 >= if{ g0 } in update to get only the tacans to show on my F14 GPS screen. Works OK for all the UK RAF bases.

Paul EGLD

Guest matt-c

ok thanks i'll give that a goMatt

I'm probably missing something, but your snippet codes a VOR. How is FS to know that it's a TACAN?

Matt The GPS lists VOR "types" Vor = 1 Vor_Dme = 2 Dme only = 3 Tacan = 4 VorTac = 5 Localizer= 6 ei. (@c:NearestVorCurrentType) gives 1 to 6 The code removes all the VORs from the update except 4 the TACAN. So in the GPS screen 1 shows only TACANs You can go further and link nearest airfield to the TACANs and get only Airforce bases. Usefull for a military jets.

Paul EGLD

Guest matt-c

I still cant get it to work, i put the code into the gps file in update, and it doesn't change anything - they still appear as VOR. Do i not have to tell FS that the beacon is a tacan? if so how? Currently they are defined as VOR's and DME (see 1st post for e.g.).ThanksMatt

Hi,Had the same results.Not tested, but may be with something like:(@c:NearestVorCurrentType) 4 ==Jan"Beatus ille qui procul negotiis..."

I already asked that question because, as far as I can tell, there's no way to identify a VOR as TACAN according to the FS9 SDK.

Guest matt-c

They've included a tacan image in the gps gauge, so surely there's a way to do it

Hi,Tested something, no difference(?)See all VOR's.Jan"Beatus ille qui procul negotiis..."

Hello Matt The bitmap in the gauge is only for the GPS VOR list page, The GPS map icons are hard coded in GPS dll. Check you don't have two entries for:- (A:GPS POSITION LAT, Radians) (>@c:NearestVorCurrentLatitude, Radians) (A:GPS POSITION LON, Radians) (>@c:NearestVorCurrentLongitude, Radians) etc. in your upadate it will not work with two. I have this working OK in a separate GPS HSI gauge using only above code in update with only all UK TACAN listings and RAF base names.

Paul EGLD

Not necessarily. The TACAN image may have been provided for a future expansion that never happened.

Guest matt-c

thanks pve, i did have duplicate entries, fixed now but i cant see any difference between the old gps and this edited one (I dont have much knowledge of xml so i'm just editing the original gps found in the gauges folder)thanksmatt

gauges.h contains defines for the VORINFO.CODE field as:// defines for VOR_INFO.CODE field#define VOR_CODE_IS_LOCALIZER BIT7 // bit7 = 0= VOR 1= Localizer#define VOR_CODE_GLIDESLOPE BIT6 // bit6 = 1= Glideslope Available#define VOR_CODE_BACKCOURSE_UNAVAIL BIT5 // bit5 = 1= no localizer backcourse#define VOR_CODE_DME_AT_GLIDE_SLOPE BIT4 // bit4 = 1= DME transmitter at Glide Slope Transmitter#define VOR_CODE_NAV_UNAVAILABLE BIT3 // bit3 = 1= no nav signal available#define VOR_CODE_VOICE_AVAILABLE BIT2 // bit2 = Voice Available#define VOR_CODE_TACAN BIT1 // bit1 = TACAN#define VOR_CODE_DME_AVAILABLE BIT0 // bit0 = DMEThe documentation with NewBGLAnalyse suggests that there is a byte at offset 7 in the VOR record where the author identified the following bits:bit7 = NAbit6 = NAbit5 = Nav true bit4 = DME present bit3 = Glide slope presentbit2 = Backcoursebit1 = NAbit0 = If 0 then DME only There is only a partial correlation between the two.This still doesn't seem to solve the problem that there doesn't seem to be a way to set a TACAN in XML. I had a quick look through bglcomp.xsd and I can't see any way there that it can be done.

Matt In the stock GPS with that code you should only see TACANs listed in the nearest VOR page. I will check out the map again.

Paul EGLD