Sign in to follow this  
Guest fbnweoghnwd

Can this goofy rotor clutch be salvaged?

Guest fbnweoghnwd

I'm making a piston-based chopper for FSX, and I'm trying to make an improved version of the default Robinson 22 rotor clutch - which leaves a little to be desired, to put it mildly. Here are its problems (you need to be looking at the VC version; in the 2D cockpit they use a totally different kind of switch)1.)If you click the switch to disengage the rotor, it takes a few minutes for the rotor to come to a stop (as it should) - and this can be observed both in the visual rotor model and in the rotor needle on the dual tachometer. But when you click it again - to engage the rotor - it magically spins up to full speed in less than a second. I'm not sure how long it takes in real life, but I would guess that it needs 15 to 30 seconds; maybe more.2.) When you click the switch - either to engage or disengage the rotor - the switch toggles, holds for a few seconds, then returns to it's original position - rather than staying put. This makes it impossible for the user to tell by looking at the switch position whether the rotor is engaged or not.3.) It's got an oddly angled switch cover that animates in sync with the switch. I'm guessing they did it that way to hide that last problem - you can't see the switch from a normal flying viewing angle.I solved the last problem by making a separate switch cover that flips independently of the switch (thanks to Bill!). Do those other problems look fixable, or is the clutch action pretty much un-tweakable (keeping in mind that my xml skills are about as refined as the clutch itself!)-Mick

Guest fbnweoghnwd

Oh...I meant to post the code for the default rotor clutch animation. Here it is... switch_clutch50 (A:Rotor Clutch Active,bool) 100 * 50HandTOOLTIPTEXT_ROTOR_CLUTCH_SWITCHROTOR_CLUTCH_SWITCH_TOGGLE

There are two different variables at play here: ROTOR_CLUTCH_ACTIVE, and ROTOR_CLUTCH_SWITCH_POS. E-mail sent.Doug

Guest fbnweoghnwd

In case anyone else runs into problem #2 - the returning switch - Doug just came up with the fix. It's simply a matter of replacing ROTOR CLUTCH ACTIVE with ROTOR CLUTCH SWITCH POS.That shows what a valuable resource these forums are. With Doug's and Bill's input, I now have a better clutch switch than Microsoft with all their $$ have developed.