Sign in to follow this  
spokes2112

Thrust variations in turns, FS2004!

Guest LFMNboy

Hello guys,I hope this is the good place to post my message!I have noticed that when you are flying at your cruise altitude,and following your flight plan, the auto-thrust system increase/decrease the power during turns!The tighter the turn is, the greater the variation and this is really annoying!Can someone explain me if there is a parameter to adjust in the .conf or in the .air file to fix this problem?Thanks in advance!LFMNboy:)

Hi,Probably you have speed (or mach) hold on.Try with a certain amount of power (throttle) with speed hold off.Jan"Beatus ille qui procul negotiis..."

Guest LFMNboy

Hi Jan!Thank you for your promt reply!Actually I was thinking about that... It would make sense for some older jets (737-200, 727-200) which were not fitted with autothrust, but it is not realistic with more modern jets and it becomes fastidious on long-haul flights (you can't spend 8 hours setting thrust manually:-eek!!)Anyway thanx for the tip, I will try it!Cheers,LFMNboy:)

Guest Patrick_Waugh

If you enter a turn (esp. a steap turn) you aircraft will require more power to maintain altitude and attitude. The autopilot is just doing it's job.It is very much like if you have cruise control on in your car, and you start up a hill... the throttle will be openned to keep your speed up to the requested setting.

>The tighter the turn is, the greater the variation and this is>really annoying!>Can someone explain me if there is a parameter to adjust in>the .conf or in the .air file to fix this problem?As Patrick explained, the AP's speed hold is simply doing its job. Why would you want to break it?The AP regulates the aircraft speed by varying the thrust.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest LFMNboy

Dear Patrick and Bill,The problem is that the autothrust correction is ridiculous!-Example 1, You are flying at Mach .780 and you have a right turn:The autothrust will not only maintain the desired Mach number but will exceed it by a good margin (>.010 or +6% N1)-Example 2, same thing but left turn:This time the autothrust is unable to maintain the correct Mach number and the speed drops! (again a loss of more than 6% N1 is current!).That is not the way you want your plane to fly, don't you??So I am just looking for a way to fix it (if it is possible...)Cheers,LFMNboy

Gottcha. I don't practice the Zen Art of FDE myself. I prefer the nuts and bolts of 3d modeling, graphic design, and gauge programming! ;)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Boy, that's a good catch! Now I'm wondering IF the difference is similar or reversed crossing the equator. IE toilet swishing down under, compared to up top.. Coriolis (sp) effect. Anyway thats a very good observation. :-) Regards,Roman

20AUG21_Avsim_Sig.png?dl=1  FS RTWR   SHRS F-111   JoinFS   Little Navmap