Sign in to follow this  
briansommers

can't upgrade and install DirectX 9.0c

I think I horked up my pooter!I was trying to go back to an earlier direct x (dont ask!) anywho, I have seemed to accomplished that - when I run dxdiag it shows direct x 8.1 - but whenever I try to upgrade to the latest direct x 9.0c august 2008 - it does it's thing for a bit then says all is installed, but when I reboot it still show 8.1can anyone help me?thanksbsciao!Brian S

Ciao!

when I d/l the file it asks me where to unzip it to, - ive been just making up my own folder on my desktop, should i be putting the files elsewhere before running the app?ciao!Brian S

Ciao!

Guest Staggerwing

Yeow.. have not had to mess with DX stuff for quite some time, but I don't think things have changed... you can't just go back and forth and might need to format and "start from scratch"If you are using XP, you might try using the system restore to get back to last working setup.I hope things have changed and someone has a simple answer for you, good luck.

yeah, i have system restore disabled - so no go there, I dread the very worst I do, I do have windows sp2 - i could trying reinstalling that, that might work, what do you think.ciao!Brian S

Ciao!

Guest Staggerwing

I do believe the DX stuff gets written deep in the Windows system and only a HD format will get rid of the problem...BUT.. I'm only going on memory of my past experience with it and that has been several years ago, so best see what you can find.. might start with a post in the hardware forum down below the screen shot forum, if nobody has answer, you need to do a good Google search on the problem. Better than doing a full format and install of everything.Darn subways anyway.... right? :-)

Guest RonB49

>when I d/l the file it asks me where to unzip it to, - ive>been just making up my own folder on my desktop, should i be>putting the files elsewhere before running the app?>ciao!>Brian SYo Brian,It has been a long time since I've messed with DirectX but don't I recall that you have a choice to upgrade on-line or D/L the file? If this is true try a "live" update. I never had much luck downloading the file.R-

whew! it's all good, I d/l win xp sp3 and re-installed that and then I was able then to install the latest dx - so that was close, NOTE TO SELF don't hork with dx9!ciao!Brian S

Ciao!

Guest RonB49

>NOTE TO SELF don't hork with dx9!I don't think we are supposed to use the H-word in these forums. (Glad you got it fixed.) R-

ha! - all because of a stupid movie, my wife and I saw, - Ratatouille - or however you spell, itthere is a scene where one rat - the chef rat is talking to one of his brother rats and his brother is just eating food real fast - and the chef rat whacks him on the head and says: " no!, no!, no! - don't just hork it down! - enjoy your food" or something like that, .. well the rest is historyciao!Brian S

Ciao!