Sign in to follow this  
badderjet

VC GDI+ gauge smoothness with SP1

Ahm well I'm not sure if it's just me, but last night I tried out SP1 with some GDI+ gauges, switched to VC and was kind of blown away to see GDI+ gauges being updated just as fast as in 2D panel view. Maybe it was like that before SP1 (?) but then I had never noticed it. The resolution is still I'd say just as before, not super crisp, but very readable, but the update rate seemed to be just about either 18Hz or even sim frame rate. Post your observations on this if you like or correct me if I am wrong and it has been the case for the whole life time of FSX, not just after an SP1 install, because I probably did not pay attention to it before I updated. :)Cheers, :-beerchugEtienne :-wave

Guest Patrick_Waugh

I have gotten about a 50% fps increase which is amazing! It is now really flyable at 24 fps, so I'm a happy camper. Never really noticed a problem with GDI+ stuff, but I was working on a CDU rather than a gauge.

Guest JeanLuc_

Well, I have not tested with SP1 RTM yet, right in the middle of a complete FSX reinstall right now, but the AXP 320 EFIS already refresh in the VC at the same rate as the frame rate counter (6 EFIS + 2 MCDU in the VC) with FS9 and without any noticeable FPS hit (not GDI+ but Reality XP True Display Technology instead, however example still valid regardless of the API), and I reasonably think it should be the same in FSX since I don't think they particularly changed this. So I guess if it is close to your FPS counter, this is more or less normal?!

>Well, I have not tested with SP1 RTM yet, right in the middle>of a complete FSX reinstall right now, but the AXP 320 EFIS>already refresh in the VC at the same rate as the frame rate>counter (6 EFIS + 2 MCDU in the VC) with FS9 and without any>noticeable FPS hit (not GDI+ but Reality XP True Display>Technology instead, however example still valid regardless of>the API), and I reasonably think it should be the same in FSX>since I don't think they particularly changed this. So I guess>if it is close to your FPS counter, this is more or less>normal?!>>Well... he's talking FSX and GDI+. I can confirm there is a difference with SP1. All gauges in the VC in FSX update better. Has nothing to do with developer technology at all. Which proves that the frame impact of the VC was never strictly gauge code based, as many have believed.Out of curiosity... why did you post? I honestly don't get it. These forums and the posts contained are about developers helping developers. Your post didn't even actually answer the question that was asked, merely stated how your gauges perform in the wrong version of the sim. You honestly confuse me.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Guest JeanLuc_

Ed,I won't be your new Patrick Waugh bashing target in the forums. My conclusion is simple and already written above:"So I guess if it is close to your FPS counter, this is more or less normal"and I draw this conclusion from"I experience refresh rates in the VC drawing vector gauges regardless of technologies used to draw them already at the FS frame rate counter in FS9".Relating the two together:"I therefore see no change between FS9 and FSX in its capability to draw the VC vector drawn gauge up to the FS FPS counter"which answers the comments:"Maybe it was like that before SP1 (?) but then I had never noticed it...Post your observations on this if you like or correct me if I am wrong and it has been the case for the whole life time of FSX, not just after an SP1 install"If this does not help you Ed, I'm really fine with it.

I've re-read your original post probably about 15 times in all, in an attempt to see how your post was actually relevant to the question. I still don't see it.He asked about FSX and GDI+ and VC. He made no reference to FS9 or RXP's proprietary code that only RXP utilizes (he couldn't, he can't use it). Your post states you haven't tested in FSX your A330... but you assume your RXP code will perform the same. While that's a fair statement, it still has nothing to do with the actual question. Like I said, you confuse me a great deal. If that's bashing... so be it. I'm just trying to grasp the purpose of your post.FSX RTM's VC refresh was horrible by comparison to FS9, even with XML gauges. FSX SP1 appears to have corrected that problem across the board.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

>I've re-read your original post probably about 15 times in>all, in an attempt to see how your post was actually relevant>to the question. I still don't see it.Ed, you're not alone. I fail to see any substantive relevance to the OP's query either, no matter how nicely parsed. But then, I've pretty much given up trying... :)I too have noticed a tremendous increase in gauge responsiveness (aka: smoothness & update rate) post SP1 installation. I ascribe that mostly to the system wide optimization that ACES performed in other areas, which in turn allocates more resources to gauge rendering.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest Patrick_Waugh

I'm totally confused, as I never really saw a question in the OP's post, haha. =)I'll be happy to compile and test RXP code if you like. ;)Anyway, what the heck is "RTM"???

RTM is Release To Market

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

>I'm totally confused, as I never really saw a question in the>OP's post, haha. =)How could you possibly miss the question mark "(?)" in the message? :-lol

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Uhm yes I just wanted to know if my memory was playing games with me ;) When I saw the effect in SP1 it immediately caught my eye so I assumed it was new. *:-* I am pretty sure update rate was awful in both FS9 as well as pre-SP FSX.Cheers, :-beerchugEtienne :-wave