Sign in to follow this  
Guest Patrick_Waugh

Gauges in Vista

Guest Patrick_Waugh

Hey,Doing some testing with Vista 64.With FSX in XP compatibility mode, the aircraft loads fine (with all the usual warnings and a yes response to running the dll), but no gauges are visible.Works fine in XP, and have yet to try Vista 32.Anyone had any success? Any pointers on getting gauges to work for Vista?Patrick

Guest schwudde

Patrick,had the same Problems (not only with Vista, after Reinstall FSX the same occurs). If i recompile the Gauges they work fine. I get a Hint from Hans that it could have to do with the "Debug" Configuration in VS2005. I don't know you use VS2005 in Debug-Config but it seems that in "Release" Config all works fine.RegardsSven

Guest Patrick_Waugh

Sven,>had the same Problems (not only with Vista, after Reinstall>FSX the same occurs). If i recompile the Gauges they work>fine.I'm compiling with VS on Windows XP SP2, and distributing to someone on Vista 32 and Vista 64.>I get a Hint from Hans that it could have to do with the>"Debug" Configuration in VS2005. I don't know you use VS2005>in Debug-Config but it seems that in "Release" Config all>works fine.I'm compiling a "Release" not "Debug" config, as I never would distribute a debug version.Gauges are just not showing up on Vista, and those guys are hoping to be able to fly it.Patrick

Haven't tried anything on Vista, so I'm just guessing here...Are any of your gauges compiled with "unsafe" deprecated code? Might be that Vista is shutting them down because of it...Doug

Guest schwudde

Patrick,>I'm compiling with VS on Windows XP SP2, and distributing to>someone on Vista 32 and Vista 64.Same for me, except for the Moment i didn't distribute any Gauges :-)>I'm compiling a "Release" not "Debug" config, as I never would>distribute a debug version.I think nobody would do this :-).Let me explain what happens for me. I've compiled a Gauge and it works fine in FSX. After Changing my HDD-Config i reinstalled FSX. Thereafter, my Gauge was loaded (clicking "yes" on the Security Warning) but nothing appears on the Panel. I've to recompile the Gauge again to see it correct. This could be the same Problem as yours.I've mailed to Hans Hartmann this Problem and his Answer was that it cold probably a Problem with the "Debug" Config in VS. I've not testet this with "Release" (and won't do this as i don't want to reinstall FSX again).I've send a "Release" Copy Copy of my Gauge to two People for a first Test but in the Moment i didn't know if the Gauge is working on their Machines. But i hope so...Regards,Sven

Guest schwudde

Ok,now i've an Answer from one of my Testers: none of my Gauges work on their machines, regardless of "Debug" or "Release" Config. :-(>Are any of your gauges compiled with "unsafe" deprecated code? Might be >that Vista is shutting them down because of it...Yes, my Gauge is compiled with such Code but they use WinXP SP2.First i'll do is fix the Code. And then we will see.RegardsSven

Guest JeanLuc_

deprecated code is only a warning that throws the compiler and the actual deprecated message is a #pragma in the headers, which means the compiler does not know that they are deprecated, it just displays a message when told to do so.If you static link the CRT, this shouldn't be a factor in any case. If you runtime link the CRT, then maybe Microsoft could have implemented a "lock" system when calling these functions, but I highly doubt it.I too am interested about the outcome of this, especially since I guess some people are running fine Vista + FSX + gauges (at least stock if not 3rd party's) so what in your compile options could break the gauges?

Guest HartmannH

If you compile the gauges with VS2005 SP1 and your tester uses FSX SP1 he needs to install the VS2005 SP1 Redistributable files (available at fsinsider.com). I think that's the problem rather than Vista.You can also set the compiler options from Multithreaded-DLL (DLL runtime) to Multithreaded (static linked runtime). Hope that helps.

Guest Patrick_Waugh

Any VS2005 SP1 Redistributable would be @microsoft.com. There is no such file I can fine on fsinsider.com.Although I have seen the SP1 Update for VS2005 for Vista, I assumed based on the "requirements" that one was supposed to install this ONLY if one was now on the Vista platform. Is this correct?Or, can I install it on Windows XP SP2 so that I can then compile for Vista???? Also, I have .NET 3.0 installed, and I wonder if maybe my Vista beta tester needs that or if it already has it, so I will have to check that out as well.Patrick

Guest Patrick_Waugh

No, I fix all warnings and treat them as errors.Patrick

Guest JeanLuc_

Hans, is this correct to assume though that if you statically link the CRT lib, and do not use the DLL runtime, the VS2005 SP1 redist is a no issue then, since it potentially conflict only having both a VS2005 DLL and a VS2005 SP1 DLL at the same time, but in the case of static link there is no DLL involved?

Guest Patrick_Waugh

>Hans, is this correct to assume though that if you statically>link the CRT lib, and do not use the DLL runtime, the VS2005>SP1 redist is a no issue then, since it potentially conflict>only having both a VS2005 DLL and a VS2005 SP1 DLL at the same>time, but in the case of static link there is no DLL>involved?Did you hear the "swoosh"?That was the sound of this going right over my head! :)A guy I send the compiled code is not going to have VS on their system anyway. =) I am sending him a mygauge.dll.I am pretty sure I am running VS 2005 SP1, and doing the same thing I have always done to compile gauges. However, they gauge is not working on another's Windows XP SP2 system either, so this appears to not be Vista related now.Patrick

Guest Patrick_Waugh

Update:Still no joy. Had the user download and install the latest DirectX (April 2007), and verified they are running the same version.When they start FSX and select the aircraft, they get the expected "Do you want to run this?" warning for unsigned code, showing FSX is finding the aircraft and the gauge. They press "Yes" to run it and get the expected "Do you want to trust it?" and I have them press "no" so as to not muck up their FSX.cfg file just yet.The aircraft then loads, but with no gauges from my gauge, just the clock from the default aircraft.Of course, it loads fine on my system. We verified they have the identical aircraft and gauge I am using, and the sound files. They are running XP Pro, while I'm on XP Home SP2.Verified all services required are running. They are runnig as admin user, as am I.Both of us have FSX SP1 and SDK SP1 installed.One notable difference is that when I move the sounds for my aircraft to the wrong location, my FSX will just quietly die to the desktop. On his, it loads the same as it is doing now.If any of you dev guys has XP Home SP2 and would like to give it a go for me, email me and I'll arrange to get you a link to dl it.Patrick

Guest HartmannH

Well, that's what I was told by several people. I have no reason to doubt that though. I remember that I sent a gauge to another developer and it wouldn't work there because SP1 runtime libs were missing. When I recompiled with the static libs, everything worked fine.

Guest HartmannH

>I am pretty sure I am running VS 2005 SP1, and doing the same>thing I have always done to compile gauges. However, they>gauge is not working on another's Windows XP SP2 system>either, so this appears to not be Vista related now.Can you give that "Multithreaded" instead of "Multithreaded DLL" setting a try? Just to make sure that this is the problem (or not).