Sign in to follow this  
Guest Patrick_Waugh

Gauges in Vista

Guest HartmannH

>Any VS2005 SP1 Redistributable would be @microsoft.com. >There is no such file I can fine on fsinsider.com.>http://www.fsinsider.com/downloads/Pages/F...rvicePack1.aspxThe link at the end of the paragraph in italics.See my post below. Make sure to use either the new runtime OR the statically linked libraries.>Although I have seen the SP1 Update for VS2005 for Vista, I>assumed based on the "requirements" that one was supposed to>install this ONLY if one was now on the Vista platform. Is>this correct?Yes, but this is only an update for SP1 which you need to run VS2005 on Vista. The new runtime libraries are part of SP1 itself.>>Or, can I install it on Windows XP SP2 so that I can then>compile for Vista???? Also, I have .NET 3.0 installed, and I>wonder if maybe my Vista beta tester needs that or if it>already has it, so I will have to check that out as well..NET 3.0 won't do anything as long as you only do gauges.

Guest Patrick_Waugh

>>Any VS2005 SP1 Redistributable would be @microsoft.com. >>There is no such file I can fine on fsinsider.com.>>>http://www.fsinsider.com/downloads/Pages/F...rvicePack1.aspx>The link at the end of the paragraph in italics.Ok, maybe my brain isn't getting it, but that link is FSX SP1, not VS 2005 SP1, and yes, that is what I am using, as is my beta tester, ie FSX SP1. You said, "VS2005 SP1" before, and I also am using VS2005 SP1.>See my post below. Make sure to use either the new runtime OR>the statically linked libraries.When you say "new runtime", what do you mean? What new runtime? Runtime of what DirectX???>Yes, but this is only an update for SP1 which you need to run>VS2005 on Vista. The new runtime libraries are part of SP1>itself.Ok, so I get you are saying that I do not need that update for VS2005 as I am not compiling on Vista. Thank you.Your 2nd sentence I do not understand. What "new runtime", is part of what "SP1"? I am sorry, I am not following you, as there are many SP1's. There is the SP1 for VS, one for FSX, and one for FSX SDK. All of which I have installed.>>Or, can I install it on Windows XP SP2 so that I can then>>compile for Vista???? Also, I have .NET 3.0 installed, and>I>>wonder if maybe my Vista beta tester needs that or if it>>already has it, so I will have to check that out as well.>>.NET 3.0 won't do anything as long as you only do gauges.Good, this is what I thought. I am not using the CLR (.NET).Thanks for trying to help.Patrick

Guest Patrick_Waugh

I will try this, but as a "gauge" IS a .dll, I do not thing this can work, right?Or, is a gauge.dll, not really a true .dll? I have heard Arne say this, so perhaps it is not.Patrick

Guest HartmannH

That's a misunderstand (I must admit I thought the same until a few weeks ago!). This setting doesn't mean that you compile a DLL or an EXE file. It only means that VS2005 links a static or dynamic runtime library.

Guest Patrick_Waugh

>That's a misunderstand (I must admit I thought the same until>a few weeks ago!). This setting doesn't mean that you compile>a DLL or an EXE file. It only means that VS2005 links a static>or dynamic runtime library.Ah, ok. I will change that setting and re-compile and maybe he can test it when he wakes up.Thnaks for explaining more. I am still not sure what it is that is being statically linked (and on my machine) that is not on his available as a dll. Do you know?Patrick

Guest HartmannH

>>>Any VS2005 SP1 Redistributable would be @microsoft.com. >>>There is no such file I can fine on fsinsider.com.>>>>>http://www.fsinsider.com/downloads/Pages/F...rvicePack1.aspx>>The link at the end of the paragraph in italics.>>Ok, maybe my brain isn't getting it, but that link is FSX SP1,>not VS 2005 SP1, and yes, that is what I am using, as is my>beta tester, ie FSX SP1. You said, "VS2005 SP1" before, and I>also am using VS2005 SP1.>Check the text in italics:"Notice: Third-party content requires VS 2005 SP1 to successfully load. Third-party content developed for FSX using VS 2005 SP1 requires the new VS 2005 SP1 redistributable file, available here: Download"This link contains the redistributable file that your tester needs to be able to run gauges, compiled by your VS2005 SP1, in FSX SP1.>>See my post below. Make sure to use either the new runtime>OR>>the statically linked libraries.>>When you say "new runtime", what do you mean? What new>runtime? Runtime of what DirectX???>The VS2005 SP1 C++ Runtime Library. Microsoft introduced a new version which is required for every file you compile with VS2005 SP1. This is not specific for FSX. The operating system also doesn't matter. Since you have VS2005 SP1 on your system, you also have the new library and won't notice any problem. However, your tester doesn't have those files (they are not distributed by Windows Update as far as I know), your gauges don't work for him. Installing the runtime (or "redistributable" as MS calls it), should solve the problem for him.

Guest Patrick_Waugh

>Well, that's what I was told by several people. I have no>reason to doubt that though. >I remember that I sent a gauge to another developer and it>wouldn't work there because SP1 runtime libs were missing.>When I recompiled with the static libs, everything worked>fine. What are SP1 runtime libraries???Also, is this what you mean?http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k282/Ben.../Properties.pngPatrick

Guest HartmannH

yes, that's what I mean.Runtime libraries are .lib files which contain the standard set of functions that comes with C or C++. Like strcpy(), printf(),...

Guest Patrick_Waugh

>Check the text in italics:>"Notice: Third-party content requires VS 2005 SP1 to>successfully load. Third-party content developed for FSX using>VS 2005 SP1 requires the new VS 2005 SP1 redistributable file,>available here: Download">>This link contains the redistributable file that your tester>needs to be able to run gauges, compiled by your VS2005 SP1,>in FSX SP1.Ok! I finally see what you are saying!!!A MILLION thank you's!!!>See my post below. Make sure to use either the new runtime>OR the statically linked libraries.>>The VS2005 SP1 C++ Runtime Library. Microsoft introduced a new>version which is required for every file you compile with>VS2005 SP1. This is not specific for FSX. The operating system>also doesn't matter. Since you have VS2005 SP1 on your system,>you also have the new library and won't notice any problem.>However, your tester doesn't have those files (they are not>distributed by Windows Update as far as I know), your gauges>don't work for him. Installing the runtime (or>"redistributable" as MS calls it), should solve the problem>for him.Ok, so if I either statically link, OR I get them to download and install that runtime, it will work.I get it now. I will try both.Thanks a billion!Patrick

Guest Patrick_Waugh

I really don't know what I would do without all you guys to help.You ALL are MVP's in my book. =)This has been a long 4 year road to get to this point, and I was ready to pull my hair out.Patrick

Guest Patrick_Waugh

Ok, sadly, my user reports that when he ran the one I compile with the above setting, he still sees no gauges.Worse, once he installed the redistributable, it then crashed his FS.So, now I'm recompiling with it set as before Multthreaded DLL and sending him that now that he says he has installed the update.We'll see.Later today I'm going to take a CD to a friends and try to install it myself.Patrick

FWIW, I've used the /MT switch exclusively since first encountering a problem years ago with some folks missing needed dependencies on their systems.Although it makes the compiled gauge "fatter," it does eliminate most of the problem(s)... ;)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest Patrick_Waugh

Appreciate the tip. I shall likely adopt this policy as well, just too bad it appears to not have solved my problem.I'm wondering how do you guys have the settting for MFC libraries? Mine is "Use standard MFC".Patrick

Guest Patrick_Waugh

Hey all,I wanted to report that this did indeed do the trick.The user testing it for me finally made it work when he also made some other corrections to his setup.So, just wanted to report this for others to be sure it was the right solution.Thanks all,Patrick