Sign in to follow this  
Guest Patrick_Waugh

CTD Problem with FSX SP1 on one aircraft

Guest Patrick_Waugh

This is really weird, and I have no clue what to try.I can load the default B206, and it works fine.I can load my custom helicopter with my gauge(s) and it works fine.I can then load any other aircraft and it works fine, EXCEPT the default B206!When I load that aircraft after loading my panel (even if loading another like the Cessna first), FSX locks up, and eventually exits with an unknown error.Anyone have any ideas?Patrick

Hi PatrickMy guess is that you have an invisble B206 custom gauge somewhere in the background that has not unloaded properly and is sucking up resources. Just a guess.-Dai

Guest Patrick_Waugh

Dai,Well, I don't do invisible gauges. :) Moreover, once I load another aircraft all my gauges are gone. There are no memory leaks, and if there were, they would affect ALL aircraft, not just the default b206.With some more research I have determined that it is likely related to DirectInput, as the default B206 only crashes if I display (and hence load its gauges) the collective, which use DirectInput.What is bizzare is that I can load the Cessna, say, and have no problem.Could it be because I am using the default model?FS appears to be crashing due to a threading problem as it crashes in afxtls.cpp, which is over my head. =)I thought perhaps my unloading DirectInput on shutdown might be an issue, so I re-compiled with that commented out, but the effect remains. This did not happen before SP1, so I can only assume that MS has changed something, but then I've been wrong before.Also, I tried loading the default (after my panel) with NO gauges, and it still crashes.Any ideas ?Patrick

>Also, I tried loading the default (after my panel) with NO>gauges, and it still crashes.Keep in mind that even the .mdl file contains "gauge code" now......that is, all animations are key_frame driven by SimVars via embedded XML code in the model.Since many of the animations are driven by "math operations" conducted from default SimVars, the net result is that the crash is likely a result of GIGO effect. ;)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest Patrick_Waugh

Good points Bill.Well, it was GIGO, but my GIGO, not MS's (as it always seems to be). =)Doug's suggestion worked, and we should update the code in that example on your site, and mine, as it is now wrong (see Doug's post above).Patrick

Hi, what is GIGO?Can you supply more details on your example, and where the problem lies.How would XML animation code in the mdl file conflict with XML gauge coding?cheers,nick

Guest Patrick_Waugh

GIGO = Garbage In, Garbage Out.While not wanting to speak for Bill ( forgive me Father for I have sinned =] ), but if the code in one is attempting to do something, it is entirely possible for code in the other to do something in conflict with it.I don't think, however, that he was speaking in absolutes, but just suggesting something else for me to think about and reminding me that the model does have code in it.Anyway, once again, it is my years at the GIGO University Programming School of Hard Knocks, that have gotten me in trouble.Turns out too, FYI all, that a lot of the code on CodeProject.com that I have been attempting to learn from is "outdated" and "poor examples of coding pratices" to quote an experienced programmer, whom I have occasional ask to do "peer code reviews" for me. Those reviews, have taught me a lot.

>Good points Bill.>>Well, it was GIGO, but my GIGO, not MS's (as it always seems>to be). =)>>Doug's suggestion worked, and we should update the code in>that example on your site, and mine, as it is now wrong (see>Doug's post above).I'm not sure "Doug's post above" to which you refer, since I don't see a reply from Doug in this thread... ;)In any event, let me know which example needs to be changed, and provide the text for it. I can unlock it and make the update.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest Patrick_Waugh

Sorry was in the other thread, and the changes are hereJust change the panel service for the registration and unregistration as in that version to make it correct.Patrick