Sign in to follow this  
Guest Patrick_Waugh

Newbie question - compiling in C++

Guest moogman

Patrick,I'm not a noob at all when it comes to VC 6. I have been using it for years, and pretty much every day. I'm sure the newer version has lots of whisles and bells, but there would be a learning curve. I know I need to do it someday soon, but right now I just don't have the time.The reason I brought all this up in the first place is that when I look at the newest MS SDK it looks to me like like using the IDE simply involves using the same C coded gauge files and simply collecting them in an IDE environment. Is it possible to use any of the foundation classes or other C++ features in FS X gauges?Jeff

Guest Patrick_Waugh

Jeff,Sorry, I got confused by your last post saying you had to learn.As far as MFC, yeap, and C++ features, yeap. Someone here (forget who) has actually created a proprietary framework to create gauges.OO design is a big leap for most C guys, so many are still really programming C-like, especially since it is not entirely clear how to use the SDK interfaces and would be another learning curve.I sort of use a mix myself, with basic gauges in c-like C++ but an OO back-end that does the real work. Others are now moving to XML front-end gauges, and C++ .dll back-ends.

Guest Mathias

This linker thing is getting me... Am now trying to use Visual C++ 2008 due to VC6.0 being incompatible with my new Vista-(ugh...) equipped machine.I would like it to compile my gauge toE:Flight Simulator 9GaugesDo128-6_V2.gauWhat do I need to enter in my output file box in the linker section of the IDE settings to get the compiler to comply? I have so far found no usefull info on this in the accompanying documentation, nor have I found a working solution here nor at the "other" site.This is simple stuff, I know, but when you don't know even the simplest thing it just won't work...

This should work... You left off the initial backslash... ;)E:Flight Simulator 9GaugesDo128-6_V2.gauI am currently working on a gauge that uses this path in the Linker:K:FSXSimObjectsAirplanesEaglesoft Cessna Citation CJ1 1.5panel.wsESXLS_Misc.gauBTW, my K: drive is another computer in the other room! :-abduct

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

All of your current VC6 gauges will open and compile successfully in VS2005. I'm using VS2003 ATM - I refuse to go to VS2005 simply because I know I have to jump to VS2008 fairly soon. Bryan Kostick's IDEHowTo is still relevant in its information but the screenshots are for VC6 rather than any version of VS - you need to find the relevant VS areas and IIRC most of them are under the Options menu.Your comment about MS and the current SDK is correct; the C-language samples they provide are the ones that first appeared with FS2000.-Dai

Guest Mathias

Thanks Bill, am feeling stupid *:-* Now comes true business, let's see if I can get that compiler to get through it's process without hickups of multiple definitions and such. Painful learning curve...