Sign in to follow this  
n4gix

WARNING - FSX: Missing Texture Can Cause Corruption!

WARNING: I have found that even a single missing texture called for by an FSX model can cause animated parts in a model, as well as texture rendering to exhibit bizzare behavior when loaded in the sim!For example, I "assumed" that the texture file "Fresnel_Ramp.dds" found in FSX's main texture folder would be "seen" by the model......BUZZZ!!! Wrong assumption!I spent far more hours that I'll ever admit trying to find out why - on MY computer system - a particular model I'm building would work perfectly, but on other team member's systems animated parts would be scattered around like they had been fired from a shotgun, and textures would be semi-transparent!Yesterday morning I had what can only have been an "Epiphaneous Moment": I had a team mate copy/paste the "Fresnel_Ramp.dds" file into my a/c's texture folder......problem solved! :-eek

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest Patrick_Waugh

Thanks Bill for sharing to save others the same stress and hours of searching for the problem.Patrick

>Thanks Bill for sharing to save others the same stress and>hours of searching for the problem.No problem... Oddly enough, I would have thought adding the main FSX texture path to the texture.cfg file would have solved the problem......but, it doesn't work... :-bang

Fr. Bill    

I can confirm having had that (or a very similar) problem with my current project. One missing texture around the the root of the port wing and the whole aircraft turned into a facsimile of a stealth bomber complete with 'see-thru' patches....-Dai

It totally blew my mind that something as trivial as a missing 2kb texture file, "Fresnel_Ramp.dds" would cause such a devastating effoct on a model's rendering! *:-*

Fr. Bill