Sign in to follow this  
greggerm

Where did you GA today?

Guest jekyll

I've noticed that there are a lot of GA pilots out there flying in FSX. I fly the F1 PC-12 myself. Excellent plane and easily a favorite for me. When i take her out sometimes i'll check out flight aware (flightaware.com) and pick an interesting PC-12 flight or i might even go to flyingmag.com and try an interesting GA flight they might have an article on.I was curious though how everyone else chooses what to do with their aircraft and where to fly them. You can even let me know what you did for your last GA flight and why you picked it.Looking forward to hear from fellow virtual pilots.Jekyll

Guest RonB49

I've been hooked on FS Economy for the last few months and I usually alternate my flights between two areas. The first area falls between the four FBOs that I own. I fly jobs from one to another of my FBOs or from my FBOs to/from other airports using planes that I own in FSE. These flights finance the operation of the FBOs. In addition, I pick an area of interest (most recently this has been Alaska) and rent a plane that intrests me (currently the Grumman Goose) and look for jobs that can make a decent profit. The virtual dollars that I earn on these flights go toward buying additional planes, FBOs, passenger teminals, etc.I never run out of new places to fly. If you'd like to try it go to:www.fseconomy.comIt's all free.R-

It always amazed me how many people fly from their own local airport every single time they boot up.With so many airfields and airports contained within FSX it seems a waste of money buy a great flightsim program?The world is our oyster and if like me, you can't afford to visit these places in reality, flightsim can do it for you.Three greens and soft landings guys. ;)

Dave Taylor gb.png

Guest thebarnstormer

Yes, this is one of the great features of FSX for me... I CAN go anywhere, anytime. I may never get to see a lot of the world in real life, but in fsx I can see Paris, London, Berlin, Moscow, Washington, Beijing, etc.. day and night. It's not "the real thing", but it's as close as I'll probably get to it. And you can land an ultralight or heli in The Forbidden City without being shot at... which is a rather agreeable feature.

I am one of those people who tend to fly out of my home airport in Flight Sim a lot, but I usually do so to recreate my RW flights for comparison. For example, this morning I left St. Augustine (KSGJ) and flew down to Polk City to visit some friends of mine at the Fantasy of Flight Museum (FA08/Private) for breakfast, then I made my way over to Flagler to have the heat shrink on my G1000 redone, and finally back to St. Augustine. When I got home I fired up FS and did the flight again to see how it compared to my RW experience.

Guest ps76

Hi,Often when I fly out of my "home" GA airfield I'll use Redhill here in the Uk (just North of Gatwick). Although I've never been on a flight there in real life (I'm still working up the courage is my excuse!) it looks cool both in RW and luckily there's a good version by Gary Summons in his Uk2000 scenery. (There's a cool website by a guy called Dave Williams with lots of flights from there too: http://www.dmjwilliams.co.uk/)In the Us in California I've often flown from Palo Alto (must be pretty awesome in Real life flying over the bay with the Moffett hangers etc.), sometimes Napa County or somewhere in wine country like Sonoma Valley(?). Sometimes maybe also in Florida where I've tried St.Petersburg and Clearwater airports (I took 2 introductory flights there last winter on holiday too which was cool but a little scary but the sim means I can enjoy it again (this time without leaving my chair which has it's plus points for me too!).Ok that's probably way too much info from what was asked(!) Hope it might prove interesting etc. though.Pierre.

Same with me...I either go to places I will be going to or have been to.Same with aircraft. If I haven't flow an aircraft or been to a place-I can't really verify if it is simulated properly or well or at all has a resemblance to reality.. :-)GeofaMy blog:http://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/

Great thread!I always take off from wherever I last landed. I try to have a small fleet of "my" airplanes and keep track of where they are. To that end, I'm making a website especially for the "GA" buffs of the flightsim community, www.fsairpark.com. I think I'm only a week or so away from having enough basic functionality (registering aircraft, logging flights) to open to the public.Anyway, as for my flight ideas: I usually either fly to somewhere I know someone in real life (friends or relatives I may not often see) or just someplace cool with beautiful scenery. I find myself flying back and forth between Alaska and St. Barthelemy a lot, with frequent stops in the mountain west where I have family and in the Pacific Northwest to visit Holger Sandmann's AMAZING free scenery for FS9 (Columbia River, British Columbia, Glacier Bay).Sometimes, if someone I know is traveling somewhere in real life, I'll "give them a ride" in my AFG King Air or other appropriate aircraft.Happy landings!Dave

I "fly" out of whatever local airport I'm near. I just moved so I'll be changing local airports.I bought the SR20 for FS9 to check it out and I like it. It makes the old 172 seem pre-historic.For real-world, I have yet to renew my medical and do a biennial, the new airport for me, out of PNE. I landed there once back when I was not solo yet.Like some here, I use FS to do a practice run. I did a run from PNE to AVP using ActiveSky and USA Roads and many airline AI (EWR+PHL)Why? AVP was one destination on my long solo XC. I'd like to fly it again someday (MMU-ALB-AVP-MMU).Regards,Jim

hi,i use real world travels a lot of times as inspiration, i love getting the flight plans when i fly an airliner from flightaware. it sounds kind of silly but i sort of deliberately took a multi-leg flight instead of a nonstop on one of my last trips to visit family just so i could see a new airport on the way. i also do a lot of flights around landmarks and places of interest that i had traveled to as a kid such as the sleeping bear dunes and mackinaw island, niagara falls, toronto, etc. i find that having memories of what the terrain was like from the ground adds a lot of interest to the terrain for me.i also recreate a lot of flights of sports events charters such as a team trip, or like to sightsee around events using realtime weather and time of day. so in a live broadcast like of a nascar or nfl event i get a kick out of seeing the blimp and weather shots and comparing them to what's going on in the sim. i flew a bunch of legs of the tour de france this summer also. getting into the mountain ranges there really brought to life just how crazy steep those climbs are.cheers,-andy crosby

General Aviation? I'm going to plug FSEconomy now, just like Ron did above. For those not familiar with it, FSEconomy is a web-based simulation community which with the help of a lightweight helper application, ties your flight into a global economy of FBO owners, airplane owners, and great fun!FSE is currently limited to single and dual engine propeller airplanes (including turboprops), and dabbles a bit in the small business jet area as well. No Boeing, no Airbus! It is perfectly suited to the general aviation pilot. There's also no "ranks" as you sometimes find in virtual airlines - you can fly a Piper Cub or a King Air... the choice is yours! And, since FSE contains activity in all corners of the globe, you can experiment and explore. Kick up some dust in Egypt. Skim rivers in Alaska. Take in a Caribbean island tour... the choices are yours! With FSE you "rent" an airplane for a sum of virtual money per hour, and you can then fly it anywhere. (Did he say rent?) The ingenious part of FSE is that the system creates jobs from nearly any airport in the world. 1,2..6...10 passenger jobs are available for you to fly, and each job pays out money.You rent, you fly, you earn, you grow! Eventually, you may be able to BUY your own virtual airplane in the system (which you can then rent out to others or enjoy flying on your own), and you can continue to move upwards to build and own FBOs at airfields and such. For the general aviation pilot who is looking for a *little* more structure but still a wide open plain of opportunity, check out FSEconomy! -Greg (Just an FSE pilot, not affiliated with them otherwise!) Link:http://www.fseconomy.com(Works with FS9, FSX, and XPlane)