Sign in to follow this  
Guest nigel_taylor

RE: So, was FSX successful after all?,

Guest nigel_taylor

With sims marching on I decided to build a new machine to run FSX. With 8gb memory performance in mind I chose Vista 64 bit for the OS. Passing quickly over the difficulties of installing Vista 64 bit with more than 2gb of ram installed the system is now very stable and fast albeit with only 4gb of ram so far.Running FSX + UK VFR real scenery + UK airports SW + Radar Contact + FDC live cockpit with the FSX 737/800 frame rates of 65/85 are normal. The entire performance is very smooth. The first piece of bad news is that Radar contact has to be run as administrator. Not a hardship but no clear instruction to this effect.However I have just found the second piece of bad news. As Flybe is my local operator I bought Wilco E-Jets for the emraer 190. It installed fine and so far appears to be working correctly. Although it was not until after it arrived that I found I had to buy the add on pack for the Flybe livery. Browsing the wilco site I then found the small print that states E-jets is not supported for 64bit systems. Still the program installed and it worked so I bought the add-on liveries. No chance. Installation a complete failure. No help forthcoming from Wilco. Money wasted.I believe that for memory power alone 64bit computing is the way forward and the makers of font line gaming machines seem to agree from their latest offerings. But, be warned, if you go this route examine your software before you buy.