Sign in to follow this  
Guest zzmikezz

Digital Mach Gauge

Can anyone point me to a freeware digital mach gauge? I'm unhappy with the display of the current analogue one I'm using and would like a simple rectangular gauge that displays % mach.Thanks.Pete in KORD

Guest ridgell

no one goes unanswered! just use the string; %((A:AIRSPEED MACH, NUMBER))%!1.2f!written into a square/rectangle back ground. if you do not know how to do this, give me some dimentions / back ground picture or an idea what you want it to look like and I (OR SOMEONE ELSE) will make you one.

Wow. Thanks, Ridgell, for the quick reply and offer. I'm not a gauge designer (though would love to learn). It would be a simple rectangular shape, say 48 pixels wide by 36 pixels high. Black background, with white numbers would be fine.Pete in KORD

Guest ridgell

%((A:AIRSPEED MACH, mach))%!1.2f!the addiction begins! copy and paste the buisness end to note pad,(Gauge open to gauge close) save it as MACH.xml ( or what ever name you like) and drop it into your gauge folder.rather then draw a background (requires uploading) i used rectangle function, so you could copy and paste.since it uses "rectangle" rather then a bit map it has no size attached, you will designate that in the panel config along with position. ie: gauge47=MACH, 458,453,48,36the last 2 numbers designate size, the 1st 2 position.i tested it...good to go! as it is, not much to look at but you could put it on a bitmap, so it looks like a gauge. as it is...its just a black window with digital mach number.

Thanks, Ridgel, for yor help. I followed your instructions above; however, the gauge does not appear on my panel. Do I need a CAB file or GAU file for it? I tried another XML gauge as well and was not able to display that either. I tried positioning your gauge in a few different places with the same result. I'm new to XML gauges, so I appreciate your assistance!Here are the last 3 lines from my panel.cfggauge65=CONCORDE!AP-Hdg-Window, 405,719,40gauge66=CallSignPlate!CallSignPlate_tan, 251, 362, 104, 36gauge67=MACH,100,402,48,36Thanks so much!Pete in KORD

Guest ridgell

no, you do not need to have an xml gauge cabbed.you might put it in a folder named...whatever.then change the panel config to readgauge67=whatever!MACH,100,402,48,36i seem to recall that gau and xml mix funny in the gauge folder.i am always building panels and have my regular gauges in a renamed folder, (gaugesx) and the ones i work on in the gauge folder. but i never cab them...i am not trying to hide my stuff. when i finish a panel i put the gaauges in the panel folder so they are not co-mingled with the other gauges.i tested the gauge and it does work...try putting in its own folder.how are you fixing its position?? just curious, are you using FSPS or some other program to work on your panel ?if you can not get it working...tell me what panel or plane you are useing and ill check it out.

>but i never cab them...i am not trying to hide my stuff. >when i finish a panel i put the gaauges in the panel folder so>they are not co-mingled with the other gauges.The reason for "CABbing" an XML gauge set isn't for "hiding... stuff."It's mainly for organizational purposes to keep things more tidy, as well as reduce the hard drive footprint. CABbing a set of XML scripts and bitmaps adds a LOT of compression to reduce file size... ;)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Thanks, Ridgel. I'll try putting it in its own folder when I try it tonight after work. Again, I appreciate your help!Pete in KORD

Hi Ridgel:I placed the mach gauge in its own subdirectory under the gauges folder and got it to work. Thanks so much for providing this.I really appreciate your help!Pete in KORD

Guest ridgell

glad to help amigo! of course you are correct bill, i actually dont cab stuff in my own gauge folder because i am constanly tinkering with them. that and a couple of 500g hard drives make it pointless (for me) and almost by definition the group here at the p forum are open coders....but i have unpacked many gauges over the years that were no more complex then the one i posted for this thread and there are instructions inside on who may and may not use them and how! you,arne,jan,taquilo and others have helped me so much over the years....and i would not want to ruffle feathers! cabbing is better you are correct.

Guest zzmikezz

My goodness -- and I was going to suggest reading the relevant C code in the Richard Probst 727-200 panel to see how to do it.