Sign in to follow this  
Guest Patrick_Waugh

Some trekkie fun

Guest Patrick_Waugh

Just thought I'd play around and model this:http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k282/Ben...ionics/test.jpgAnyone else ever try modeling this? Post your pics. The actual 134" studio model (although somewhat modified during repairs) is on display in the Smithsonian NASM gift shop in a glass case.I was fortunate and once saw it in person up close and personal before it was donated to the NASM, and I have found some great photos of it being filmed etc.Patrick

Guest FelixFFDS

Patrick.... Inspector Poly likes your modelling ... and off-beat subject matter. Off-beat, but with a touch of class.

Guest Albatross7107

It's looking pretty good - I thought the one at the Smith was the movie version? They have the 60s model too? Matt Jefferys would be proud, even for non fans it's an icon.Are you planning to make this an "aircraft"? Program it as an AI craft, grab an F-104 and reenact "Tomorrow is Yesterday"!!I'm such a geek.... :(

Guest Patrick_Waugh

>It's looking pretty good - I thought the one at the Smith was>the movie version? They have the 60s model too? Matt>Jefferys would be proud, even for non fans it's an icon.I believe they have the ST: TMP version (ie NCC-1701-A) as well, as I've seen pictures of it hanging near the TOS 11 foot studio model. TMP version is much smaller as it was easier to detail and cameras have of course improved since the original version was made when detail was blurred by special effects.>Are you planning to make this an "aircraft"? Program it as an>AI craft, grab an F-104 and reenact "Tomorrow is Yesterday"!!Not particularly. I plan to texture and detail it and perhaps play with animated shots of it. I plan to make the collectors functional (ie rotating with lights).I actually might do the A version as I have highly detailed pictures of it and it is more interesting to detail.I'll post more pics soon.

Guest Albatross7107

Looking really good! Yeah, interestingly the show and the schematics didn't quite jibe. In one episode they called a weapon phasers, but it looked like torpedoes. The phaser emitters are down low near the lip of the lower sensor dome, but the photon torpedo tubes (which the show always showed coming from the same location) are in the front of the large "lump" on the top of the saucer, right below the bridge.I think your drawing shows that, in the background of these screen shots.

Guest Patrick_Waugh

>Looking really good! Thanks... here's a shot as I work on some detail in the sensor dish.http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k282/Ben...elingdetail.jpgI use a modeling material with animated opacity to aid in easily seeing through things as needed by just scrubing the slider. Also here, you can see quite clearly how I am using see-through blueprints.>Yeah, interestingly the show and the schematics didn't quite>jibe. In one episode they called a weapon phasers, but it>looked like torpedoes. Don't remember anytime phasers looked like torpedoes, remember the episode?>The phaser emitters are down low near the lip of the lower>sensor domeYes, this is a common mis-conception and/or a point where the screen images don't seem to agree with the drawings. The phaser banks are clearly marked on the upper and lower saucer. They fixed this problem with the -A model, making it really clear.>, but the photon torpedo tubes (which the show>always showed coming from the same location) are in the front>of the large "lump" on the top of the saucer, right below the>bridge.>I think your drawing shows that, in the background of these>screen shots.Yes, there are ports for them clearly seen on the drawings on "B" deck (the larger area below the main bridge).Patrick

Guest Patrick_Waugh

Finished the main sensor and sensor cowl.http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k282/Ben...sorComplete.jpgThis is the original dish from the series (ie ST:TOS), and unfortunately this dish was lost by props, never making it to the NASM. NASM thus fabricated their own, but without attention to detail, so it does not match the original.I also put in the position lights. :DPatrick

Guest Albatross7107

It is really looking good - I haven't seen it at the NASM so I wasn't aware of that detail, too bad, you'd think with the kind of preservation work they do they'd have done a better job. I guess maybe they didn't feel a fictional craft deserved that sort of attention? The episode was "Balance of Terror" where TOS first encounters the Romulans. They kept stating that they were using Phasers but the weapon was released as a "torpedo looking" burst and detonated at a distance (they were shooting at a cloaked ship) It always impressed me as being like outer space depth charges, if you follow me, and that appearance and performance is what a projectile weapon would do, not a particle beam weapon.I suppose the "cannon" would disagree with me, but it seems pretty obvious to me.Plus it was early on and I don't think "Photon Torpedoes" had been "invented" by the writers at that point.

Guest Patrick_Waugh

>It is really looking good - I haven't seen it at the NASM so>I wasn't aware of that detail, too bad, you'd think with the>kind of preservation work they do they'd have done a better>job. I guess maybe they didn't feel a fictional craft>deserved that sort of attention?Well, at the time they aquired it, no one knew it's "value" really. In fact, props just wanted out of their way and would have given it to anyone with $50 and a truck really! (Except strangely, they wouldn't give it to GR as the studio execs were mad at him for some reason). >The episode was "Balance of Terror" where TOS first encounters>the Romulans. They kept stating that they were using Phasers>but the weapon was released as a "torpedo looking" burst and>detonated at a distance (they were shooting at a cloaked ship)I'll have to check that out.>Plus it was early on and I don't think "Photon Torpedoes" had>been "invented" by the writers at that point.You are likely right about this.

>>I suppose the "cannon" would disagree with me, but it seems>pretty obvious to me.>It's "canon"... ;) And no, they wouldn't. You're spot on.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Guest Patrick_Waugh

Created in 3DSMax.Timeline so far: 4 Hours - Research (Gathering drawings & studio model photos) 6 Hours - Setup and scaling of drawings (perfectionist) 20 Mins - Central Pylon 8 Hours - Main Saucer (with bridge, lights, impluse engines, etc.) 2 Hours - Engine Nacelles with pylons (so far)http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k282/Ben.../Enterprise.jpghttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k282/Ben...Enterprise2.jpgI think I'm really getting the hang of this modeling thing :)