Sign in to follow this  
n4gix

Help With Animations In Max

Guest bseaver

Hi, I'm sorry if this is a dup post, but I have done quite a bit of searching on this topic and haven't found a lot of useful info. I have been given the task of getting a model of a P51 Mustang in 3DS Max (v8) and getting it into Flight Sim X. I have gone through the documentation that was supplied with the SDK, (SP1), but have found little help that has been useful. My question pertains to attachment points and animations. From what I currently understand, I have to set specific attachment points on the model and then reference them in the attachment plug-in supplied for Max. What I cannot figure out is exactly what attachment points I need to set on the model. The SDK docs seem to list every possible attachment point, but I would like to know which of those I need to set up in my model. -Thanks, BSeaver, (FSX SDK Noob)

In previous versions of FS (FS9, FS2004, FS2002) animations were all based on precise part names. That is, if you named a part l_aileron then that part would automatically work when exported to a model file.In FSX, this is no longer the case. ALL animations are now accomplished by:1) keyframe animating the part's movement, whether rotation or position or both.2) associating the part with the "XML script" contained in the modeldef.xml file. This is accomplished by using the Animation Tool to "attach" (i.e. "associate") the "XML script" by "animation name" to the Max/GMax object.So, while "part names" are no longer critical in the Max/GMax model, good modeling practice would suggest that for the sake of one's sanity, one should still name the parts appropriately... ;)So, taking the l_aileron part in Max/GMax again, you must first keyframe animate the l_aileron part. Add keys at 0 - 50 - 100. Set the track slider at 0, click the Animate button, then rotate the l_aileron part DOWN by xx degrees (whatever you need for xx). Click the Animate button to deactivate it and move the track slider to 100, then repeat the process above except this time rotating the l_aileron part UP by xx degrees.Finally, with the l_aileron part selected, open the FSX Animation Tool. Click on the "Update" button once. Set the keyframe start/stop boxes to 0 and 100. Scroll down the list of animation names until you find "l_aileron_percent_key," select it, then click the "Create" button...Done!Now, when you export the model, the exporter will read the modeldef.xml file, find the XML script for "l_aileron_percent_key" and add it to the model's .xanim file, and add the needed bits to the .x file.When you compile the .x file using X2MDL.exe, it will combine the .x and .xanim files and produce your completed .mdl file... ;)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest bseaver

Thanks for explaining this to me. I will try it now and let you know how it goes. Thanks again.

Guest FelixFFDS

Don't forget, you still have to animate the propeller rotation, tire rotations, etc. etc. etc. Felix/FFDSPegasus Aviation Design

>Don't forget, you still have to animate the propeller>rotation, tire rotations, etc. etc. etc. >>>Felix/FFDS>Pegasus Aviation DesignYes, for parts such as the tires, props, et cetera which have multiple parts involved, e.g., c_tire_still and c_tire_blurred, you will need to use BOTH the Animation Tool and the Attachpoint Tool...The Animation Tool will associate the part with the XML script......and the Attachpoint Tool will associate the XML script conditions to the part.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator