Sign in to follow this  
Guest zzmikezz

Getting an FS2004 C gauge working in Win9x

I have written an FS2004 panel with a single big custom GAU file. It works in Windows XP, but not in Windows 98 or Millenium. What could be the problem? The panel uses DirectSound for gauge sounds.An earlier version of the panel (with several small GAUs instead of one big one) did work in Windows 98, but I no longer have the source code for that as I've added a huge amount of additional functionality since then.Any ideas? Is DirectSound to blame, or does Win9x have a limit on the amount of complexity in a single gauge?

If you are compiling the gauge with a dependency on either msvcrt71.dll or msvcrt80.dll, you will need to ensure that the appropriate .dll is present on the Win9x system. I would suspect this as the problem if the gauge simply won't load.If the gauge is crashing the test system, then I would suspect that it is calling a Windows API function that is not supported in the earlier versions of Windows.DirectSound is not an issue - my xml sound gauge works fine on Win9x systems.Doug

Guest zzmikezz

I'm going to guess, and this is only a guess, that DirectSound could in fact be the problem. If the old sound code ran on DirectX7, there were a sufficient number of DirectX data structure changes in the transition to DX8 that you might in fact have a problem. The easiest way to check out the DirectSound conjecture is simply to temporarily comment out all (repeat all) of your DirectSound-related code. If that allows the panel to work then you might try the following meat-axe approach ...Put your copy of FSsound.dll into the fsfsconv folder within the main aircrafts folder. Then copy all of your panel sound files into fsfsconv as well, and then change all the sound file paths in your panel code to point to the new locations of the sound files.If the panel still runs but now runs with sound, you could experiment with shooting for a less kludgy sound files setup.I hope this helps.