Sign in to follow this  
Guest zzmikezz

Image/Charts browser (Module) inside FSX?

Guest jouha

Hi, since FSX don't support kneeboard use as a internet browser like FS9 does I was wondering a way to make separate (child) window inside FSX to use as a charts browser.The format of maps can be anything. But I think that an image (bmp,tiff,png...) might be easiest to include. I must say that I'm not familiar with windows programming at all, but as far as I know... would it be possible to make a DLL module and call that way HTA application to use as a browser for maps? The idea is that I have map files on my local drive and read them into a list of links into the HTA and so.Ofcourse and very pleaseful to receive other possible solutions =)

Guest zzmikezz

You can do it from a gauge but there's a lot of overhead code required to create a set of C/C++ parent+children windows. You will have to learn to program the Windows API. Look up the author name "Charles Petzold" and you will find that he has written a number of books on the subject.I hope this helps. If not, write to me and I'll try to get you more information.

Guest jouha

Thanks a lot for your reply Mike. I checked this one out and became very intrested in windows api programming in c. Found couple quite good looking tutorials on the google. Didn't look as hard as I expected it to be. Maybe it helps a bit that I'm familiar with many web develop languages and some C basics too.I was looking a way to make custom window "inside" FSX and found this ( Subject: "RE: Creating a child window inside FS9/FSX" at http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...1&mesg_id=33450 ) . Maybe this one helps me forward.But what comes to gauge programming... I looked into the FSX SDK's gauge programming tutorial and horrified. For an fast overview I didn't understand a bit of it (C++ maybe). As you Mike said that making it as a gauge would be possible but would it be too hard for my kind of "beginner"? Any good advices where to start?I'll truly begin to study this until I get back from my vacation in Sweden in next week :)

Guest zzmikezz

Track down b727pan4.zip which is the most recent version of the magnificent Richard Probst 727-200 panel for FS2004. Yes, FSX is different in some important details, but this panel has an enormous variety of gauges and studying the code will be instructive -- not in regards to the Windows API but rather in regards to what it means to be a gauge. (This panel has dozens of them.)Of course you'll need the SDK, but the source code in the Probst panel should go a long way toward making it clear what the SDK is saying.Mike McCarthyWant to be a payware developer? Click the "How To Join" button on the fsOC website, http://www.fsopencomponents.com.