Sign in to follow this  
n4gix

Exporting from GMAX

Guest richie35

Hello Fellow Simmers and Experts,I have a question regarding the procedure used to export a model from GMAX to FSX.I read the "SDK Using Modeling Tools" and it is a bit confusing. I quote from the document Exporting a Model from 3ds Max Para 6, To export the model, make sure the format Flight Simulator Direct X File (*.X) is selected, no other model format will work. If the option Flightsim Model (*.MDL) is shown, do not use it, it has not been implemented in this release.7. Click Save. Make sure that the options Export Skin and Export Animation are checked in the Flight Simulator Model Export Options dialog, if skinned animations or animations are included in the model.8. This process will create a .x file, and optionally a .xanim file. "The only listing I have for Export is the following: Flightsim Cloud(*.CLD), QuakeIII(*.MD3), Flight Sim Model(*.MDL), plasma (*.P3D) and All Formats.There is nothing is shown as Direct X File (*.X) or am I missing something.Is there a step by step written instructions or procedues that are easy to follow or is this a lost cause?The project I am working on is a Navion (see atchd jpg) and I am nearing the design completion and final in the texturing and mapping.Can anybody help, please.Rich S

Guest Patrick_Waugh

3DS Max != GMax (does not equal)3DS Max is the commercial version of the free GMax, and there is a different procedure for it as a result. I don't use Gmax, so I can't help you, but would guess you need to use .mdl.Also, you should have attempted to export long ago, as you will now likely have problems doing so, and will have a hard time locating the offending problems in the mesh.First, create a box, and learn to export that, then apply it to your aircraft once you verify you can do so.

Guest richie35

Patrick,Thanks for the response. I will have to keep plugging along as there has to be a way to do it otherwise nobody would be using GMAX for FSX. I am hoping someone on the ACES team can be of useful infomation.It should be the same whether exporting an aircraft or scenery model. The procedure should be the same.Thanks Again for your time.Regards,Rich S.

Rich, all you need to do is export as Flight Sim Model(*.MDL) and it will simply work... There's couldn't be anything simpler than that... ;)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest FelixFFDS

>Rich, all you need to do is export as Flight Sim Model(*.MDL)>and it will simply work... There's couldn't be anything>simpler than that... ;)Sure they could... FSDS!hehe!

Guest richie35

Hi Bill,Thanks for the info and I have found many problems with items on the Navion and they all appeared to be fixed at this point.How is the the other project comming along? Can I continue or wait for you to tell when?Thanks again for the lessons.Regards,Rich S.

>Hi Bill,>Thanks for the info and I have found many problems with items>on the Navion and they all appeared to be fixed at this>point.>>How is the the other project comming along? Can I continue or>wait for you to tell when?It's sitting in my "To Do" box waiting its turn. I've been very busy with "bread-and-butter" work, so I'm having a tough time allocating any "fun time..." :9

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator