Sign in to follow this  
Guest caprarof

Aircraft design - animated door

Guest caprarof

Hi,My name is Tom and this is my first time on this forum. I would like to say hello to everyone.I have "flown" FS9 aircraft for some time and have done some editing of panels. Nothing big - adding freeware gauges. I have recently become interested in animation. I don't have any real programming experience except some basic XML.My problem is how to link a key press and sound to an animation. In this case, a cabin exit door. I have downloaded several freeware aircraft and in one case, the author has linked the "/" key to open and close the exit door but there is no sound. How did he link the "/" key to open and close the door? How could sound be added to the animation?I'm probably trying to do something that takes more programming experience than I have. However, I can't learn without trying. This experimenting with freeware animation is strictly for personal use and I respect any author's use resrictions.I'm not sure if this is the correct forum for this question.Any suggestions, tips, or help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.Tom

Tom, all animation "controls" are baked into the model (.mdl) file and cannot be changed by the end user.Sounds for exits are specified in the sound.cfg file for any particular aircraft:[EXIT_OPEN]filename=door_small_open[EXIT_CLOSE]filename=door_small_close

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Hi,May be i misunderstood, but authors define their animation sometimes in the aircraft.cfg like:[folding_wings] // For opening main deck cargo door.wing_fold_system_type = 4 ;0=Nonefold_rates = 0.05,0.05 ;Percent per secondIn that case you can make an xml gauge to operate that specific door with the command:(>K:TOGGLE_WING_FOLD)and var's:(A:FOLDING WING LEFT PERCENT,percent) (A:FOLDING WING RIGHT PERCENT,percent)You can add any sound you want to that command by using Doug Dawson's xml sound gauge (do a search!)Hope it helps,Jan"Beatus ille qui procul negotiis..."

>Hi,>>May be i misunderstood, but authors define their animation>sometimes in the aircraft.cfg like:>>[folding_wings] // For opening main deck cargo door.>wing_fold_system_type = 4 ;0=None>fold_rates = 0.05,0.05 ;Percent per>secondYes Jan, some do in fact do such things... still. They apparently haven't fully grasped that FS9 and FSX support FOUR DOOR animations now... ;)All of which are "Shift-E'able" using 1,2,3,4...As it happens though, with some custom XML script in the model, it's possible to have as many doors as one could want (not all of which would be assignable to the keyboard though). ;)

Fr. Bill    

Guest caprarof

Hi,Thank you, Bill, for your response. Now I have some idea of what file to work on. I know that your time is valuable but, if possible, could you tell me if I'm on the right track from reading the text below?I came across a model of an airport shuttlebus that can be driven and is placed in the FS9 "aircraft" folder. It is an example of what I wanted to do regarding adding sound to an animation.The spoiler key (/) toggles the passenger doors - open and close.The wing fold key for cargo doors.-------------------------------------------------------Shuttlebus Authors:EMail:Dirk@Flight-Team-Bremerhaven.de-------------------------------------------------------There is no entry for door sounds. Could I add a section to the sound config to add sound to the passenger doors? I have a wav file that I downloaded - actual sound of bus doors. I'm only interested in the external sounds. I understand the structure of the Sound.cfg but I have two questions:-1- Where do "eng1_starter" and "eng1_shutdown" come from?-2- What does "viewpoint" mean?---------------------------------------------------------------This is a portion of the sound config file: [FLTSIM] product_code=FSIM[sOUND_ENGINE]<-------This defines the topics in brackets?number_of_engines=1eng1_combustion=COMBUSTION.1.00eng1_starter=engstarteng1_shutdown=shutdown <----- |[sHUTDOWN]<------------------filename=xwav3shutviewpoint=1link=xshutdown <------- |[XSHUTDOWN]<-----------filename=xwav3shutviewpoint=2Thank you for your time.Tom

Guest caprarof

Hi,Thank you, Jan , for your response. I looked closely at he aircraft.cfg file and noticed what you mentioned. Looks like I have some work to do to get sound for the doors. It will be trial and error but it's worth it to learn something new.Thank you,Tom

>I came across a model of an airport shuttlebus that can be>driven and is placed in the FS9 "aircraft" folder. It is an>example of what I wanted to do regarding adding sound to an>animation.>>The spoiler key (/) toggles the passenger doors - open and>close.>The wing fold key for cargo doors.>------------------------------------------------------->Shuttlebus Authors:EMail:Dirk@Flight-Team-Bremerhaven.de>------------------------------------------------------->There is no entry for door sounds. Could I add a section to>the sound config to add sound to the passenger doors? I have a>wav file that I downloaded - actual sound of bus doors. I'm>only interested in the external sounds. I understand the>structure of the Sound.cfg but I have two questions:>>-1- Where do "eng1_starter" and "eng1_shutdown" come from?>>-2- What does "viewpoint" mean?In reverse order, "viewpoint" in the case of a sound specifies the origin of the sound spatially.The tags "eng_starter" etc. are keywords used by the sim during play, and respond to the engine conditions. IOW, you specify which .wav file to play during the "starter" portion of sim-play. After starting, the next event linked is "combustion."Now, as to the specifics of this case, since the model is hard-wired to use the spoiler key and wingfold keys, you will - as Jon noted - have to create an XML gauge file to play sounds.You essentially have two choices. FS allows only ONE sound for all exits. IF you can live with that, then (a) declare the .wav sounds for open and close in the sound.cfg file, then (:( program a tiny, invisible gauge that will open close door #3 or door #4 whenever the user invokes the spoiler key or wingfold commands.The second option is in two parts. First you will need Doug's XML Sound Gauge and follow the instructions to add your sound files to his .ini file.Then, you will need a small, invisible XML gauge that will play the open/close sounds for the spoiler key, and the alternate open/close sounds when the user invokes the wing fold command.BTW, yes you have interpreted the "sound file chaining" correctly. ;)

Fr. Bill    

Guest caprarof

Hi,Thanks, Bill, for your informative response. Now I know that I'm headed in the right direction re the bus door sounds.Just one more question: How do I make the XML gauge invisible?I was thinking about purchasing "FSPanel" by Abacus but then I would not learn how to program the XML gauge myself. When you are my age (64), learning curves are steep ones.Thanks again for your time and patience.Tom

>Just one more question: How do I make the XML gauge>invisible?There are two ways to make a gauge "invisible."The first is to simply use a transparent background. In FS, any bitmap image with "pure black" (RGB: 0,0,0) is transparent.The second way is size. Simply display the gauge at the coordinates,size of 0,0,1,1I defy anyone to notice a one pixel gauge... ;)

Fr. Bill    

Guest caprarof

Hi,Bill, thank you for your reply. I might even get this project to work now.I appreciate the help you have given me. I've even learned something about XML programming.Thank you,TomPS: I just want to add that I have the Cessna Citation II and the Citation CRJ by Eaglesoft. They are both excellent aircraft. With the single engine private jets being produced these days, maybe Eaglesoft will explore the possibility of producing such an aircraft for FS2004 and FSX. (Hint...hint):-)

>With the single engine private jets being produced these days,>maybe Eaglesoft will explore the possibility of producing such>an aircraft for FS2004 and FSX. (Hint...hint):-) All in good time. Our practice is to release only production types, which as of this moment don't exist...

Fr. Bill    

Guest caprarof

Hi,Oh well, I tried.;) I'll keep checking the "Eaglesoft" web site. It will make a good purchase in the future.From what I've read in a few of the aviation publications, production types for a couple of the single engine "personal" jets is just around the corner. Whatever "around the corner means."Thanks for your reply,Tom