Sign in to follow this  
lcseale53

You there Geof....or any Baron drivers?

The logic was so the power quad would be usable by both the copilot and pilot.Since I have owned a Debonair before the Baron with the same arrangement and the only retractable's I have ever owned, no problem for me-though I did train on a Dutchess.In some ways though I find it more logical-put the gear further away where you are less likely to push it by accident.Agree though-special attention needed when coming from another aircraft with opposite situation.GeofaMy blog:http://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/

Excellent shots as always Geof. I saw that there was someone in the screenshots forum that goes by the name rightseat, as opposed to my login of rightseater. I spent five minutes looking at that post trying to remember writing it until I noticed his signature at the bottom. I'll take that chug of beer now....it has been a long, long day. I had to stop in Savannah because my MFD started flickering like crazy. It was like trying to use a G1000 in FSX with 5 FPS. I have been having a problem with some cord retainers slicing through the heat shrink on the G1000 lately, and had it redone in Flagler a few weeks ago. I was lucky enough to have found an authorized dealer in Savannah through the FBO. That held me up about two hours and put an unpleasent dent in my wallet, but the rest of the flight was great. I'm heading back in the morning with a stop in Greenville, NC. I just couldn't pass up the opportunity to go to a Piggly Wiggly. I'm going to try to get in before the tower goes home.

Made it back safe and sound. I've got to admit that the Baron is a real treat to fly. Going back, once again, to the fact that my pax are my primary concern, the Baron got rave reviews from everyone. I did have one complaint about the low wings blocking an otherwise beautiful view Fernandina Beach coming through Jacksonville, but the leg room more than made up for it from what I heard. A few things took some getting used to, like having two engines to deal with. I was quick to the checklist though, which kept me in line for most of the flight. It took me some time to get the hang of making adjustments to each engine individually, but the resulting increase in airspeed, smoother flight, and surprisingly quiet ride for having two engines next to my ears was worth the effort. I've got it tied down at KSGJ right now, and will be going back in the morning for a trip down to Tampa to have it inspected.

Is it a B55 or B58? The B55 blocks more of the downward view than the B58-just curious....but then there is the upward view which is unblocked :lolGood luck on the pre buy!GeofaMy blog:http://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/

It's a B58. As for the blocked view, it was only because I had turned out over the ocean to line up with the 180 inbound into the SGJ TVOR and then came back towards St. John's for rwy 13. Personally, I was surprised with how great the view was in front of the wing. I would rarely be looking 90 degrees to my left and straight down unless I was running a tight pattern, like at Green Cove. All in all, I can think of a total of zero complaints.....that is until tomorow morning when I get to fill er up.

Sounds great-good luck!You may want to invest in the Voyager softwre which shows gas prices on a moving map with daily updates or make a regular visit to 100ll.com or airnav.com. for your trips.I never used to do it with my single but sure do now for my stops.Just found out my local airport gives a .30/gal discount for cash-with all that cash in the billfold though expect to sit quite a bit higher :-lolGeofaMy blog:http://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/

Goef, or anyone else....have you ever experienced an RMI needle reading backwards? On my way back to SGJ this evening the VOR needle was locked on to the TVOR until about 20 nm out, than it flipped in the exact opposite direction. I checked the audio Morse to make sure another VOR wasn't bleeding through, double and triple checked to make sure the NAV frequency hadn't changed for some reason, and than about 10 nm out it started working again. It wasn't any notable problem because I was using the GPS and the VOR on the HSI both working fine, but just thought I'd ask.Also, a very promising experience I had today was a moderate crosswind landing with some light shears. The 206 always handled them well, but the Baron was magnificant. Not as much drifting after coming out of the slip.

Haven't experienced the rmi backwards-sounds like there may be a problem there-but since a good number of vor's are going to be decommissioned in the next few years wouldn't worry too much if your gps is working fine -probably not worth a repair on the rmi.I find landing's much easier in the Baron/Bonanza-especially with high winds- the low wing vs. a high wing debate-I've done up to 45 knts. in the low wing-did a 90 degree xwind gusting to 28 a few weeks ago-wouldn't try that with a Cessna. Also the Baron is much heavier (5100 lbs. with full fuel in my case)-possibly more than the your Cessna-much more stability. I used to brag that is was not possible to do a bad landing with my Debonair-the Baron is pretty much the same.Again, Beech's- lean,mean, travelling machines-and like luxury cars vs. economy cars! (imho) :-)GeofaMy blog:http://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/

I trained for the Multi-Engines in a Seneca, which feels really light compared to the Baron. I have never been fond of crosswind landings in the 206, but given how common they are, I just grew used to it, though certainly not enough to challenge my luck.I won't bring up the VOR vs. GPS debate as it has already been beaten to death here, but I am curious as to how a complete removal of VOR stations will be accomplished. I know that the low altitude VORs are going, and of course the NDBs are on there way out, but I don't understand how the high altitude and terminal VORs can go away entirely. It seems to me like that would either ground a lot of people or force them into a GPS investment. Wouldn't the FAA have to approve GPS for primary navigation in all circumstances at that point? I guess I have a bit of sentimental value with the VORs since GPS didn't even exist when I started flying. In fact, even with the G1000 I often use the VORs here in Florida to maintain my proficiency and because I have grown so familiar with them here.As for that low-wing vs. high-wing debate....I sure do prefer the low-wing when turning on the pattern. Talk about good visibility without a wing in your way....haven't experienced that since I was with Skybus.

Agree-when I started training I was glad I had a single vor-it was the cat's meow. When I experienced dme for the first time I was in heaven!However, in the last 5 years I have to confess I haven't used a vor but a couple times. I get direct 99% of the time and that is with a now aged kln94. Seems to me gps is the future and the present-but my bird still had two vor's just in case. I check them regularly but feel like I am more going thru the motions...GeofaMy blog:http://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/

What a long way we have come. When I was offered the 206 I hesitated to even go take a look at it for several weeks because it was fitted with the G1000, and my old school ways just couldn't shake my love affair with steam. It took me about 10 seconds to absolutely adore the G1000 and all of its remarkable capabilities. It wasn't like I was losing my VOR Nav, it was just displayed a little differently.I think, after this morning's flight, that I will be bidding farewell to old reliable and taking the reigns of new reliable. I've still got plenty of time to think about it, but you were right....this is just like looking at a puppy. So long as it does not violate any AVSIM forum rules, I wouldn't mind posting some price and spec info for you to evaluate.

Appreciate that. I'm going for a quick burger and I'll toss you a message when I get back. Thanks.