Sign in to follow this  
dragonflightdesign

Trojan in a gauge??

I have developed a simple gauge for a Mirage 2000 panel, and sent it to my friends who run a virtual air force. Many users had a problem with this gauge because they use the AVAST anti-virus, and it detects a trojan in the gauge. Consequently, it blocks the gauge and FS can not load it in the panel.I checked this gauge with Norton (Pro edition), with AVG, and even with Avast Online scanner, and no virus or trojan is found. I am 100% sure there is no virus in the gauge.Now the real question is:Why does Avast detect a trojan in a simple gauge that is used on the Microsoft SDK, without any "hack" or specific feature?Why is there a problem in THIS gauge, and not in all the other gauges I have developed in the past?If you already had this kind of problem, I would be happy to have your feedback.Thanks,Eric

Guest Patrick_Waugh

>I checked this gauge with Norton (Pro edition), with AVG, and>even with Avast Online scanner, and no virus or trojan is>found. I am 100% sure there is no virus in the gauge.While no doubt there is no virus in your copy, it is: a) entirely possible it is infected on an end users system :( not necessarily virus free b/c one anti-virus doesn't find anything.I highly recommned AVG anti-virus (freeware) over any other payware or freeware product due to performance issues in finding infections, but that is another story.>Now the real question is:>Why does Avast detect a trojan in a simple gauge that is used>on the Microsoft SDK, without any "hack" or specific feature?>Why is there a problem in THIS gauge, and not in all the other>gauges I have developed in the past?To answer this question, we probably have to know how you coded it, and what you did different. Have you tried installing AVAST on your system and testing?My guess would be that this is just a false positive due to poor detection on the part of AVAST, hence why I recommend and only use AVG. Even Norton did not do the job for our systems in comparison to AVG's freeware, and as a long time Norton fan, I wouldn't say this unless I had personally tested it.Another good free one is Comodo.com.Good luck.

AVG (freeware) is the anti-virus I use and it has detected no infection in my gauge. I didn't try to install Avast on my system because I was scared of some kind of conflict between the 2 anti-virus softwares.I don't think the gauge can be infected on the end user system because the virus is detected as soon as the gauge is loaded (packed into a RAR file).I also think it is a flase positive, but I don't know why it happens on this gauge and not on any other. I didn't do anything different than usual, I only use the famous SDK macros such as MAKE_STRING and MAKE_ICON, nothing else.Thanks for your help anyway ;-)

Hi EricFrom what you say, it's almost certainly a false positive. I had exactly the same scenario with one version of Norton back in FS98 days with my SD3-60. Other authors have also had the same problem; Roy Chaffin being one.-Dai