Sign in to follow this  
Guest Mike R

Animation of Pilot's Arm

Guest Mike R

Hi allHave run into bit of a problem that I can

Guest fbnweoghnwd

Linking the pilot's hand to the stick would be a real cool way to go, but unfortunately it doesn't work. You have to do it all with forward kinematics - i.e. rotating the individual bones to get the hand into the right position. Have you looked at "New Aircraft Procedures" in the SDK docs? It shows how to set up the hierarchy. I was able to successfully animate a pilot using this technique.But it's not easy to get the hand into the right position. And once you give it a keyframe for each of the stick's extreme positions, it will drift all over the place in the inbetweens - so you have to give it a bunch of extra keys throughout its range to keep it looking like it's gripping the stick.-Mick

>Linking the pilot's hand to the stick would be a real cool>way to go, but unfortunately it doesn't work. You have to do>it all with forward kinematics - Eh? FSX does support I-K. Use the I-K Solver!

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest fbnweoghnwd

>Eh? FSX does support I-K. Use the I-K Solver!Interesting...all I've seen in the docs was the goofy method I just referred to...

Guest Mike R

Many thanks for your swift responses. I really appreciate the time you

Guest chris.eve

In FSDS I achieved a basic representation of this animation by starting at the shoulder with a fore/aft left-right animation, then attached the lower arm at the elbow with animation in one plane, etc for the wrist, then simply put the joystick in the pilot's hand and followed the hand's animation with the joystick (much as would happen in real life) ... simply couldn't get it to look right working from the stick and trying to get the arm to follow it.Hope this helps.

>>Eh? FSX does support I-K. Use the I-K Solver!>>Interesting...all I've seen in the docs was the goofy method I>just referred to...Wait! I only know the answers based on reading, study and conversations with ACES developers directly......that doesn't translate to me actually having done it meself! :+ Take a look at the ../SDK/Environment Kit/Modeling SDK/Jetway.html document for an interactive illustration of how the IK handles are used.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator