Sign in to follow this  
n4gix

SimFlyers GNS-SX SR2 with TCAS

Guest richie35

Hello Simmers,I recently (three days ago) purchased the GNS-SX SR2 with TCAS and am having an issue with the program. First let me state that this is not a bashing comment and I only want to find out if any who has this product is experiencing the same problems as I am. SimFlyer explains that they have not had any reports of the problems I am experiencing.1) The VOR2 indicator does not display the glideslope needle at any time whether receiving a signal or not yet the VOR1 indicator displays correctly. The GS flag on both items pull the warning flag when signal is received yet the GS needle on VOR2 is never shown. Also a further comment is that the indicator installed does not match the one shown in the user manual and install manual on page 1 of both documents, as the VOR2 indicator displays the Glideslope needle.2) The second item is when the GNS 530 with TCAS is in NAV page 1 no TCAS traffic is shown at any time. I had the default C172 by the runway 32L at KORD and a B737 departed which I could see visually an yet it never displayed on the screen.I may have something wrong in my installation but I cannot see that. I have installed the indicators in several different aircraft with the same negative results. I contacted SimFlyers and they say everything works through all their testing and with 30 beta testers with no problems resported. They want to wait to see if anyone else is having the same problem before they will proceed. So therefore that leads to ask these questions.I cannot attach the screen shots as they exceed the 144K limit for attachments. They are over 260K. If necessary I guess could crop them down to smaller size on the area of concern.I would appreciate if anyone has experienced any problem to please let me know and also report it to SimFlyers.Thanks for any replies.Regards,Richie35

You didn't mention which sim, FS9 or FSX...Whichever the case though, the default C172 of neither sim is configured for a NAV2 radio with Glideslope receiver:// Radio Type = availiable, standby frequency, has glide slopeNav.2 = 1, 1, 0The last 0 indicates "no glideslope receiver."If you want it to work you need to change the 0 to a 1...As for the other problems, I suspect it's another case of user confusion... :)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest richie35

Hi Bill,Thanks for the reply. I had already checked the acft.cfg file for that setting and changed it to 1,1,1 to show glideslope on VOR2. Did not make any difference. I feel that when the software is looking for a particular bitmap (in this case, the #2 glideslope needle and the file name or the callout name is incorrect) that exact thing will happen because it cannot find that file it is looking for. I may be wrong but there is a problem somewhere and I was wondering if anyone else had the problem.If you want I can e-mail you the screen shots so you can see what I am talking about and also give you a view of the Navion 2d panel I am working on.Please respond.Regards,Richie35

Richie, I don't have Keith's latest XML stuff, but having known him for quite awhile now, I'm fully confident that it is working as intended. Ergo, the problem lies in some misunderstanding or misconfiguration.Without having his code to look at, no amount of screenshots is going to tell me much...I am assuming of course that you have a valid ILS frequency tuned in the NAV2 radio while testing...

Fr. Bill    

Guest richie35

Hi Bill,Well I guess this is going to be a mute point and I will have to settle with what I have displayed. I had the VOR1 and 2 tuned to the same frequency and the VOR1 displayed correctly and VOR2 displayed LOC correctly as well as the GS flag removed yet the only problem was the GS needle is not displayed at any time including when the system is off and should be displayed the same as VOR1 yet it is not.I also found out an interesting point about the acft.cfg file in that the radio VOR1 and VOR2 settings concerning the GS made no difference whether set to 1 or 0. The GS still functioned in VOR1 inrespective of the setting. This may indicate a problem with the acft.cfg file because no response to setting change??Regards,Rich S.

Guest richie35

Hi Bill,This is a further update in what I am doing and I guess this may have to be directed towards the ACES team for an answer. I have completely removed the total FSX installation and renamed any of the remaining files to a completely different folder.The SP1 update is not installed and no addons. so it is a prime bare installation. Changing the acft.cfg file for the C172 VOR1 and VOR2 to 1,0,0 which is no standby freq and no glideslope and neither one responded to the changes which appears that they are ignoring any changes to that section of the cfg file.I had hoped I would see a change but none. Real confusing.I hope the ACES team reads this and may be have an answer and that may lead to the original problem I had. Unfortunately I may have to go back to using FS9 as things are getting confusing.Regards,Rich

Guest richie35

Bill,The system works fine with the freeware VOR2 indicator from Coyote Avionics (Reality XP) cad_GarminVor2!gi106b gauge installed so I guess that will eliminate the installation configuration. I have emailed Keith with the results of my findings.Also I finally got the system to respond to the standby freq settings after a reload but the Glideslope is there no matter whether the setting is 1 or 0.Any update on Global Express XLR??Regards,Richie35

>Any update on Global Express XLR??Not at this time, Rich. I'm in "crunch time" with several ESDG projects so haven't had any "spare time" to work on it. I will likely have some time within a few weeks though, so I can tidy up the exterior model's loose ends.

Fr. Bill    

Guest richie35

Thanks Bill and fully understand and patience is virtue. All in a days work as they say. Perfection comes with slow easy care.Regards,Rich