Sign in to follow this  
Gavin

Norton Internet Security 2009

HiI was given a copy of this today and was wondering whether to install it or not. Now, in the past I believe Norton products had a bit of a reputation of being 'hog-ware' and didn't really help FS very much. Whether this is true or not I don't know.So - what do you think? Some friends from Symantec tell me that IS2009 is much leaner - but what do my FS colleagues think?At the moment I use the freeware AVG and Zone Alarm and am pretty much an advocate of 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' but am I missing out on something better in Norton IS2009?With all due respect and in the friendliest way possible, I'd be very grateful if people who use other anti-virus/firewall products didn't reply by saying 'I use ABC123 and am very happy' because it won't really answer my question about Norton IS2009 ;-) No offence intended in any way.

Gavin Barbara

Over 10 years here and AVSIM is still my favourite FS site :-)

Hi Gavin,I'm not sure this will answer your question and I'll probably be saying something you already know:), I'm sceptical of Norton anti-virus because of their previous versions. It is not only because of it's incompatability with FS but the program is so "intruding" if you see what I mean. Maybe the new version is better?That said, every computer is different, something that works for one might not work for you and vice-versa (sorry, you already know that too, I know :)) Personnally, I would give it a try.Hey, I'm sure this didn't help much, just consider it a hello :DA user will certainly give you better input.

>Now, in the past I believe Norton products>had a bit of a reputation of being 'hog-ware' and didn't>really help FS very much. Whether this is true or not I don't>know.I have never tried this product with FS, but, as a corporate user, I've always found Symantec products to be exactly what you described above. Despite what your friend said, I'm skeptical...I've never known a symantec product to get "leaner".I would go with something like NOD32 from ESET. It's really a great product.Jeff H.KDEN

.>>Hey, I'm sure this didn't help much, just consider it a hello>:D>And hello to you too :-)

Gavin Barbara

>>I have never tried this product with FS, but, as a corporate>user, I've always found Symantec products to be exactly what>you described above. Despite what your friend said, I'm>skeptical...I've never known a symantec product to get>"leaner".Interesting - thanks!

Gavin Barbara