Sign in to follow this  
Guest fbnweoghnwd

Looking for tutorials

Guest NAVIGAT0R

Hello, Are there any other tutorials, besides the ones on SDK, about creating aircraft models from scratch (starting with a 3-view drawing)? Thanks. :)

Guest Patrick_Waugh

You might want to tell us which program you are looking for tutorials on, but it sounds to me more like you are really still are learning to model, because that's bascially all that's happening from the 3-views.There are a lot of great 3D modeling sites out there for Max, but which program are you learning?

Guest NAVIGAT0R

Hi Patrick, yeah I forgot to mention that. :) I'm interested in using Gmax and 3D Max -- I don't work directly with 3D but I have access to 3DMax where I work. I do have some knowledge of 3D modeling principles in Maya, but I was hoping to find a (Gmax/3D Max) modeling tutorial specifically for MSFS. Thanks!

Guest Patrick_Waugh

The first step is doing the tutorials that come with GMax, and/or 3DSMax at work.The principles are the same. Only after you learn to model can you worry about specifics of what you then do to export it to FS. Really, you have to create a viable model first.

Guest Patrick_Waugh

Those are all created with Photoshop CS2.Yes, modeling an aircraft for FS is just modeling, nothing more. Your main goal is to model with as few polys as needed, no more no less, as it true of any modeling really. But, first learn the basics and the big picture by doing the tutorials. Then, the SDK will make more sense to you, and you can begin asking questions here.Also, to just learn how to get a model exported, you can simply create poly box and then export that as an aircraft to see how it works. This way you don't have to wait till you can create an aircraft.When you are first starting to model, you will make mistakes in the mesh that are most easily found by UVW mapping (harder), or trying to export the model and compiling it (easier). So, we usually recommend that when you are learning that you export your model early and often to find errors and learn from them. This way you will know what you were just working on and where the error is likely located. The compiler will generally tell you the problem part as well.Once you are a competent modeler, then you won't need to do this unless you want to do so.When you have questions, just ask them, as we have all been there.There is a good free UVW mapping tutorial for Max 8 on my site too.

Guest NAVIGAT0R

Awesome, thanks for the tips! I'll download your tutorial once I get to texture mapping. :) I just got a couple more questions, if I install FSX's SDK 3DMax scripts and GMax SDK Gamepack, will I be able to export models for FS9 as well?

Guest Patrick_Waugh

You will have to install the FS9 SDK to develop for FS9. It is probably best for a newbie to just begin with one. Most likely by the time you learn what you need to know FS XI will be coming out, so I'd just stick to FSX if I were you.

> Hello,>> Are there any other tutorials, besides the ones on SDK, about>creating aircraft models from scratch (starting with a 3-view>drawing)? http://freeflightdesign.com/tutorials.htmlNone of the tutorials there are for FSX specifically, but the general principles of modeling are pretty much the same.For detailed information and FSX related tips and mini-tutorials, see the very active forums there.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest NAVIGAT0R

Thanks Bill for the link! That'll help a lot. :)

I have gmax only, if I use gmax will I be missing any key feature in terms of making scenery objects and aircraft models for FSX? I know it is too early to speculate about FXIX, but is gmax a dead-end?J

Jeff Bea

I am an avid globetrotter with my trusty Lufthansa B777F, Polar Air Cargo B744F, and Atlas Air B748F.

Guest Patrick_Waugh

>I have gmax only, if I use gmax will I be missing any key>feature in terms of making scenery objects and aircraft models>for FSX? No. Think of GMax like an earlier version of 3DSMax. The latest 3DSMax has more features to allow you to model with more tools, but both can create models for FSX.>I know it is too early to speculate about FXIX, but>is gmax a dead-end?No. ACES apparently plans on extending support to other no-cost modeling programs, but who knows. Learning to model in another program is easier once you have done it in another.Patrick

Guest fbnweoghnwd

The quality of a Flight Sim model created in 3DS Max won't vary much from one created in GMAX - the main difference is that 3DS Max has tools to speed up the workflow (providing you know how to use them). A big limitation of GMax is that it dates back about five years and is no longer supported or upgraded. The advantage, of course, is that it's free.