Sign in to follow this  
byork

impact of add-ons and the dollar vs euro or pound

kind of an off the wall question what with the dollar gaining strength and lots of great fsx add-ons i can't afford because the dollar had a big disadvantage the past year or two. just wanted to know if fsx add-ons would reflect current exchange rates in the near term. granted add-ons like pmdg md-11 and the 747 are in a league by themselves and can dictate pricing because of the complexity of the software. guessing there was a time when something was priced 24.99 in pounds and also 24.99 in dollars and guessing we won't see something like that again?

My guess is that most add-ons were priced manually. That is to say ... the developer manually performed an exchange rate calculation at the time they released the software, and that unless they return to recalculate a new exchange rate, you will see the same old prices.That's just a guess ... but from what I know of most of the store systems in use today, it's probably a good guess.

thanks for answering my post. figuring that it would take weeks or a few months for the exchange rate to stay the same and not put some developers and retailers at a disadvantage.

Yes, your CC will take the exchange rate at the time of purchase...Watch for the 3rd party devs to suddenly develop a fondness for pricing in the dollar again...

Jeff Bea

I am an avid globetrotter with my trusty Lufthansa B777F, Polar Air Cargo B744F, and Atlas Air B748F.

>Yes, your CC will take the exchange rate at the time of>purchase...>>Watch for the 3rd party devs to suddenly develop a fondness>for pricing in the dollar again...If I had my way I'd denominate my products in Swiss Francs or Japanese Yen as they are generally regarded as the safest currencies, but I'm sure that would cause a lot of 'huhs?' amongst my user base :-)I could even denominate my stuff in my local currency, but that would elicit and even bigger set of 'huhs?'?I think most of us stick to the Euro simply because the majority of our customers are European. I'd say about 70 percent.Bryan

It's all swings and roundabouts for me. In July the Polish Zloty was really strong against the US$ and I went to the US on holiday, felt as rich as Bill Gates, drove around in a nice, big rented Chrysler 300, laughed at how cheap the petrol (gas) was - only US$4 a gallon - cheaper than in Poland and brought electronic toys and clothes for a fraction of the price I'd pay here in Warsaw.Over the past week the Zloty has gone down the toilet and if I went to the US now, the only thing I'd be renting is a cardboard box to sleep in. ;-)Ah well, back to reality ;-)

Gavin Barbara

Over 10 years here and AVSIM is still my favourite FS site :-)

thanks again for the answers didn't figure on what i could do with overseas c.c. exchange rates. living in tulsa basically its zilch when buying add-ons and i work for best buy at that. guessing from reading the sim magazines and other posts that the flight sim market is huge in europe and asia and easier to walk in and pick up your favorite add-on. probably better here in like new york city or chicago. hp m1270n 3.0gz p4, 2gb ram, 8600gt, 500watt ps.still does the job!