Sign in to follow this  
OneDownOne2Go

modifying animations in mdl-file

Hi,I dont know if that has been asked a hundred times before, but:I use several models for AI traffic and some of them as player-a/c on my aging laptop when I have to travel.Among them is the DC-8-61-Model by Dee Waldron, that looks great for the polycount given. But some of the animations r wrong, specially the left aileron moves on a wrong rotation-axis. Is there any way to fix that by "hacking" the mdl-file? I remember back from the days of FS95 that animations could be added to an existing mdl, so there should be a way to change existing animations using a hex- or even a binary editor. I just dont know how. And befor I take on the task of analyzing the mdl, what is painfull and time-consumig for sure, I thought I could give it a try and ask the guys here that know alot more than I do.Best regards and thx in advance for any hintKai Bambey aka OneDownOne2Go

Guest Douglas K

>>>>But some of the animations r wrong, specially the left aileron moves on a wrong rotation-axis. Is there any way to fix that by "hacking" the mdl-file? I remember back from the days of FS95 that animations could be added to an existing mdl, so there should be a way to change existing animations using a hex- or even a binary editor.<<<

Could it be done? Almost certainly, but......just finding where in the hex edit file the particular part's data is a difficult enough task......but revising an entire animation matrix consisiting of (up to) several hundred x,y,z dimensional data points would be more difficult than the theoretical thousand monkeys on a thousand typewriters scenario... ;)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest Patrick_Waugh

The way to go would be to either: a) Have the original author provide you with the source and modify it. (Or have them do it) OR :( Create a source geometry file from the .mdl file once you understand the format, and then basically re-do the model with the correct animations and compile it.You would still need the author's permission, or just do it for your own use and not distribute it, but that would be far easier than trying an impossible hex edit.Finally, you could just roll your own completely from scratch.Good luck

Okay, okay, I see...I thought animations would be stored in some kinda data-table mapping certain sub-parts to movement-data like axis, sense of rotation, min & max angle, degree per input and so on..If the animation is stored for every vertex seperately, I wont even think of giving it a try.Well, will try to talk the author into either modifying the model or giving me the source, but I suck a 3D-stuff, I feel much more comfortable surrounded by hex-values ;-)Anyway, thanx for the kind and fast reply!Kai Bambey