Sign in to follow this  
ozbeowulf

Keeping WEP alive

What is the trick to keeping emergency boost active beyond the automatic timeout? I am trying to fake a supercharger usingsend_key_event (KEY_WAR_EMERGENCY_POWER,0)It works ok except that when it times out it can't simply be toggled back on.Fred

Hi FredI can't answer your question directly, but I did suggest a way to simulate superchargers/turbochargers in sd2gau20.zip.-Dai

WEP Accumulated Time On is within reach of FSUIPC. If you occasionally write 0 into these offsets, you can keep WEP running forever: 0x3840, 0x3780, 0x36C0, 0x3600.You can presumably do the same thing in FSX with SimConnect.Doug

Guest Patrick_Waugh

Perhaps an easier alternative would be to peg the throttle at 90% (or other number) without your "supercharger", and then go up to 100% with it.

Patrick has the right idea.In fact, MSFS aircraft are almost always incorrectly set up. In the real world, any supercharged engine will naturally pull more than allowable manifold pressure close to sea level. Accordingly, full throttle at takeoff is used only on small GA aircraft. Otherwise, engine management is required to avoid overboost and subsequent engine damage.Any time limit on WEP (or any other high power setting) is only a warning to the pilot; there is no automatic reduction of power. Well, unless you count engine failures....By setting the maximum manifold pressure in the aircraft.cfg file higher than the allowable max main, realistic engine management is required. It's also accurate (and fun) to code in engine failures if max t/o power is exceeded for more than a short period. (After modifying the aircraft.cfg, the aircraft should be flight tested with AFSD. Other adjustments may be needed to keep performace accurate.)MSFS default aircraft and most add-ons are set up for the don't-read-the-manual/full-throttle-forever/vroom-vroom crowd, but it doesn't have to be that unrealistic. Glenn

Thanks for the replies guys.This is actually for a 2 speed blower and I'm trying to simulate the high speed, for both FS9 & FS10.I originally was using a throttle limiter as Patrick suggests but I was hoping for a neater solution without going to either FSUIPC or Simconnect. Too bad I can't just fail the turbocharger on demand.Can't win 'em all I guess.Fred

Try Tom Gibson's CalClassics site.Doug Dawson worked out the two-stage blower problem. IIRC, it requires FSUIPC.Glenn