Sign in to follow this  
n4gix

sd2gau23.zip uploaded

>>In any case, it appears that "they" (meaning flightsim.com>management) are restricting data input to the Wiki only to a>limited few individuals whom "they" deem "experts..." >Would explain why it's empty... ;)

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

>>>>In any case, it appears that "they" (meaning flightsim.com>>management) are restricting data input to the Wiki only to a>>limited few individuals whom "they" deem "experts..." >>>>Would explain why it's empty... ;)Well, to be entirely fair, it's not even "announced" yet and is still very, very new. There's a lot of entries in the FAQ sections though, but by limiting the data entry to only an "approved selected few" it will take a very long time for it to become truly useful...I will be taking all the "sticky posts" from my Panel & Gauges forum and moving them to the FS Wiki as I find time, to reduce the "clutter" that they currently create...I also received a reply to an inquiry to pass along to Dai:"If his work is to only be used on the wiki and not for profitor any where else we will be happy to abide by any of those restrictions he would like to put on his work."It would appear that they are willing to be flexible.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Hi BillI'm quite happy to post it to both wikis, but being a complate ignoramus where wikis are concerned, how on earth would I get 108 pages into one article, plus putting the sample files alongside?Your comment on flightsim.com about it being a 'handbook' made me smile. In an idle moment of curiosity I just ran a wordcount and had the smile almost wiped off my face - 36,726 - and that's after the recent purge of out-of-date materials.Prompted by Patrick's reply, I'm beginning to think that some of the more advanced stuff wouldn't go amiss either. One topic I've been humming and hawing mentally about for quite a while is programming DirectSound. It actually isn't that difficult once you have a working set of templates in place.-Dai

>Hi Bill>>I'm quite happy to post it to both wikis, but being a complate>ignoramus where wikis are concerned, how on earth would I get>108 pages into one article, plus putting the sample files>alongside?Well, I'm practically an ignoramous myself WRT to Wiki. I'm supposing that one would simply do a lot of cut-and-paste to get it from the original source file to the Wiki editor, then embed links to the relevant screenshots where appropriate.I'd suggest that the Wiki at FSDeveloper.com might be a good place to begin with, simply because registration will allow you to begin at your convenience, experiment as needed. In fact, there are any number of folks who'd be delighted to provide assistance WRT to formatting, etc.Once it was done there, it I believe that there's a method whereby the contents can be "captured" to an XML format, which may then be "imported" into another Wiki with all content preserved.>Your comment on flightsim.com about it being a 'handbook' made>me smile.It doesn't quite qualify for the title "Magnum Opus," but it's a close contender... ;)On reflection though, I can see one advantage of the FlightSim.com arrangement. By limiting the ability to "edit" they've also virtually eliminated the possibility of anyone "defacing" the document...

Fr. Bill    

Guest Patrick_Waugh

>Prompted by Patrick's reply, I'm beginning to think that some>of the more advanced stuff wouldn't go amiss either. Putting it on a public Wiki will mean you give up control over it, and this may be a big emotional step for you. You would have to remember that it will then be edited by the community in ways that you may initially not like. However, it means that it is more likely to self-update and get corrected as people using it discover new things and become a living document.>One topic I've been humming and hawing mentally about for quite a>while is programming DirectSound. It actually isn't that difficult>once you have a working set of templates in place.Programming to DirectSound is out, and XAct is in, and allows you much much more control.

XAct... don't think that's part of Win XP. ;)Well... it is... but it's Xbox... and gives me the heebie jeebies.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

@Ed:It wasn't but it is now.... [sigh]."XACT is an audio programming library and engine released by Microsoft as part of the DirectX SDK. It is a high-level audio library for authoring/playing audio that is written to use Xaudio on the Xbox, DirectSound on Windows XP, and the new audio stack on Windows Vista. Xaudio is an Xbox-only API designed for optimal digital signal processing. XACT also includes X3DAudio, a spatialization helper library available on both platforms, Windows and the Xbox. XACT was originally developed for Xbox development, and was later modified to work for Microsoft Windows development as well." - WikipediaGuess I need to go-find another SDK....@PatrickI appreciate that I would lose control over it but in some ways that would not be such a bad thing; as I have said, I know sod-all about GDI programming for example. Surely that is a topic that needs adding? Despite my comment about XML earlier in the thread, that is something that needs its own tutorial and should not be included in mine, simply because they are two different technologies.@Bill:Which just leaves the question: how do you attach files to an article? I can link to my own serverspace if I'm absolutely pushed, but I'd prefer not to.-Dai

>@Bill:>>Which just leaves the question: how do you attach files to an>article? I can link to my own serverspace if I'm absolutely>pushed, but I'd prefer not to.Dai, rather than continue to abuse AVSIM's bandwidth, I've begun a new topic at FSDeveloper.com here:"Proposed C Gauge Development Manual"http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7751I note that there's a mechanism for uploading images and linking them for display in an article, but didn't see an obvious method for making uploaded .zip files available......so I though I'd ask! ;)

Fr. Bill    

No fair!I can't register over there! :(Well, I did... but it's never sent me my confirmation email. :(

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

It will come, eventually... ;)

Fr. Bill