Sign in to follow this  

Guest BFG

I'm having no luck at all trying to get to grips with the basics of XML gauge design. I'm trying to do something simple like taking a negative magnetic variation, converting it to a positive value and adding "West" to the end, or "East" to a positive magvar.There's loads of info on this forum but I can't find the "simple" stuff, like manipulating variables etc...I'm not a complete idiot, I'm a web designer and can do just about anything with Javascript or Flash Actionscript, but whereas I learnt those by searching around on the net (and finding tons of useful stuff), I can't seem to find anything useful on XML gauge design... everything is either on XML structure, or advanced stuff, with nothing in between. The SDK for example contains lots of information, but none of it makes sense to me. It lists operators, and then doesn't show how to use them.Any tips or pointers anyone?

Start here, with Nick Pike's site with XML Gauge Tutorials:http://fs2x.com/Tutorials.htm

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest BFG

Thanks Bill, I've gone through them all!Frustration is so... frustrating! I've figured out a few things since yesterday. Long way to go, but my first gauge is almost there.

Even though there is almost every secret concerning XML gauge devellopment published in this or other forums - not to mention all those superb tutorials - the first attempts often aren't that easy. At least mine weren't... I'm not interested in writing one more tutorial, but in case you are seriously interested in XML gauges, I could give you a helping hand.Send me a PM or mail with the description of what's confusing you.Herbert

Guest jordanmoore

BFG,Your observation is correct. It is difficult to find examples of the in-between stuff when you are getting started.2 Sources that served me very well:1. This forum...but you have to use the search function well.2. All of the XML gauges included with the FS2004 default aircraft, as well as XML gauges included in 3rd party addons. These are great examples to look at, and have all sorts of techniques demonstrated in them. Grab those .cab files and unpack them somewhere and start getting familiar with the gauges in the default Beech Baron for example, it will really get you going.Jordan Moore

Guest BFG

Thanks so much for the pointers and offers guys :)It's getting easier as I'm filling in the gaps as I go along. There's just a step missing at the bottom of the staircase, but I'm almost on the 2nd step and then the rest should be more accessible.

Guest Douglas K

Some other sources: search the Avsim File Library for xmlgau01.zip by Arne Bartels. There

One more advice which might be helpfull:Even though XML files can be read and edited using text editing programs like Notepad, I'd strongly recommend to use a special XML editor for this job. There are several freeware programs available (my first choice still is Peter Reynold's XML Editor, version 1.1.1). Give it a try - in case you haven't allready done so - and you will see, things look much clearer when using such editors.Herbert